Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Outside is "buggin" her

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:08 PM
  • 41 Replies

I have a soon to be 3 year old that hates going outside.  This just happened in the last couple weeks.  Today screamed bloody murder to be outside,  because of bugs.  She seems find at family members,  the park,  soccer games.  However today was the worst!  She (or her sisters) have never been stung.  Nothing more then the average mosquito bite.  I am not sure why all of a sudden this is a huge issue.  Any Mama's out there have and advice or suggestions for me.  We do a lot of outside stuff and she can't just sit in the house all summer!  I am scared to take her to the beach!  Any help is greatly appreciated! 

by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 7, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Have you asked her? I am not sure. Maybe stay outside for a few minutes at a time...slowly extending the time outside.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

virginiamama71
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 6:52 PM

what happened the last time she was outside? Is it certain times of the day?

HunnyBabie
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 7:19 PM

You can mix up some EOs (campfore (sp) for one), and put a few drops in a spray bottle of water.  Then spray it on her hands and she can rub it on her face and arms.  It would have to be reapplied as necessary; it's not as long-lasting as deet, but it's also not as toxic.

Be careful with the proportions!

kelly5678
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 6:29 AM

I think you should really ask her what bugged her last time she was out... i find it difficult to believe she would hate bugs so much...

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 7:05 AM

Weird, you never know what's going on in a kids mind! Just make it as fun as you can to be outdoors, read childrens books to her about fears and also about insects, (The very Grouchy Ladybug is a good one) talk about how you overcome obstacles, teach her to be resilient.

ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2015 at 7:35 AM
california baby bug spray. Or get he a water spray to spray bugs
fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2015 at 7:40 AM
Pick up some harmless bugs, ladybugs, inch worms and such, and let them crawl on your hand. Go to the library and get some kids books about bugs, there are even some animated movies and children's shows where bugs are the stars. Show her bugs can be cool. My kids all went through this phase.
Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2015 at 7:44 AM
Get some sented oils and make her special bug spray. Tell her she can spray it to keep the bugs away. You can get the food grade ones at the natural food stores so she has some control.
LaniBee
by on May. 8, 2015 at 8:07 AM

I did this with my girls. They also went through the same phase.

Quoting fatcat0908: Pick up some harmless bugs, ladybugs, inch worms and such, and let them crawl on your hand. Go to the library and get some kids books about bugs, there are even some animated movies and children's shows where bugs are the stars. Show her bugs can be cool. My kids all went through this phase.

LaniBee
by on May. 8, 2015 at 8:08 AM

I like this idea! 

Quoting Rhiannon1980: Get some sented oils and make her special bug spray. Tell her she can spray it to keep the bugs away. You can get the food grade ones at the natural food stores so she has some control.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)