• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This cracks me up! (pix)

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 5:20 AM
  • 14 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

My lotion, (what a price huh?!) :) says Gluten Free lol. I always wonder, can I eat it??

My dog likes to lick it off my legs, so maybe lol!!
by on May. 17, 2015 at 5:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 17, 2015 at 5:21 AM
Oh I guess you can't read the price! $2.98, from $9.99. :)
Advilplease
by on May. 17, 2015 at 5:23 AM
I have never seen this kind of lotion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on May. 17, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Hm! Gluten free! Can gluten be absorbed by the skin? Does gluten on the skin affect people the same way as when they ingest it?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Bmat
by Barb on May. 17, 2015 at 10:01 AM

This is from the dermalinstitute.com

Unfortunately, suppliers of raw materials don’t always certify the concentration of gluten in the raw materials that they provide skin care companies. And since the raw materials are not standardized with each batch (meaning they adjust each batch to contain a constant amount of gluten) the gluten content could fluctuate.

While many self-proclaimed experts claim any skin care product with gluten will penetrate through the skin’s barrier and trigger the disease, the Celiac Society disagrees. “Gluten molecules are too large to be absorbed through the skin. If you’re having a reaction to a personal care product (for example, a moisturizer or sunscreen lotion) that contains gluten, you may be allergic to one or more of the other ingredients.”

While it seems the whole world has got it in for gluten, The International Dermal Institute agrees with the Celiac Society and the many scientists that contend topical application is not an issue. Unless a product is used on the lips or in the mouth (think lip conditioners, lipstick, toothpaste or mouthwash), there is no need for concern. However, it is always up to the client and skin care professional to make the best possible choice for skin health.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 17, 2015 at 10:02 AM

So I answered my own question, gluten molecules are too big to get through the skin, according to the article anyway.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 17, 2015 at 10:03 AM

What amused me about the picture of the ingredients in the OP is that the lotion says coconut plus lemon, yet it has a huge list of ingredients. :)

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:55 PM
That is a lot of ingredients. Does it smell good?
balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:59 PM
An item that is inherently gluten free, like the ingredients in lotion, can legally labeled as such. Crazy, and probably pushing it a bit. My honey is also labeled gluten free because people like labels.
RoseWall
by on May. 18, 2015 at 12:01 AM
I want to try it. But havent decided if I want to smell like coconut and lemon.
Sounds so much like a pie flavor im worrying bees will want to smell it too.
:-(
AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 19, 2015 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Tfs. I didn't figure gluten was absorbed...

Quoting Bmat:

So I answered my own question, gluten molecules are too big to get through the skin, according to the article anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)