• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

oh the tantrums!!!!

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:38 PM
  • 32 Replies

i have a 16 month old son he is entering his terrible 2s early im a first time mom with him because my other child is younger so ive never had to deal with tantrums sure ive babysat children who throw fits but its different when its your own child anytime my son throws his fits in public it makes me want to walk out of where ever i am and just go back at a later time how do you handle tantrums in public?

by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Children throw tantrums because they have no emotional or impulse control yet. Also at that age they don't have the words to express their emotions.

The goal of tantrums is to teach them how to regulate their emotions. Teaching breathing and counting techniques can be helpful. If I'm in public I get down to my son's level, look him in the eye, and calm tell him to take a few deep breaths and try saying what he wanted again in a better tone.

At 16 months my goal was just to show him how to calm his body down. So I used redirection. I would look and him and say in an exasperated voice "oh no! I cabt find the colour green! I've lost jt. Can you find it anywhere?". I'd continue witho this until we went through all the colours and he was calm. It was a way to show him at a young age how to calm himself through distraction. Now that he's older we focus on more direct methods.
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

realize that any parent there has done it before and can understand and continue with my shopping as needed.  Benefit of a tantrum in public, sometimes they move you to the front of the line rather than continue to hear your child cry.

goddess99
by on May. 18, 2015 at 8:17 AM

We would leave.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 18, 2015 at 8:20 AM

We basically would leave :)

AbbeysMom2013
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2015 at 8:21 AM
Dd honestly doesnt throw tantrums much when we are out. But I remove her from the situation and then we try again. Usually there is a reason, and she is easily distracted with something else
NicLof2
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2015 at 9:55 AM

after you leave what to you do with him to show him that his actions were wrong and that his behavior is why you left?

emarin77
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2015 at 11:24 AM

My husband always took our son outside to calm him down.  Once he was calm they came back in to finish eating.  Super Nanny talks about this subject a lot in her show.

yvonne37
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2015 at 11:50 AM

i got lucky with mine, they hardly did this... but the little times they did I handled it depending of their age.  under 2 I think they dont understand how to express themselves, so I would try to set the mood first.. by bringing them fed and calm, with a toy to entertain him/her, but if they still do have a tantrum I would calmly talk to them and take them aside.. if its bad, just leave and keep trying later. Over 2 I would be a little more stern and depending again where I am either sit them and talk to them about the consequences or ignore them and let them get it out.. either way I would leave and explain what they have done.

motherofzandz
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2015 at 12:06 PM

With mine I tried to call them a few seconds and if it didnt work I took them out to the car until they could get themselves calmed down and then we went back in. I didnt allow tantrums to dictate our lives there are times we have to shop and do things they didnt want to do. I would also look into baby wearing. If he is on your back it might calm some of the tantrums too. 

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2015 at 12:12 PM

If your child is tired and hungry, they are more prone to a tantrum.  So if I know that one of these two factors are in play, I try to take that into consideration and remove the child from the situation and sit in the car and let the child calm down.  At this age, it isn't about being defiant or testing boundaries, just more of frustration. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)