Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Before and After School Child Care (plus HW time / tutoring)

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:17 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was considering doing before/after school child care (in my home) for next school year.   

Here's the plan and a little about myself (if that makes a difference)

We live in the midwest in a small town.  

My "hours" would be from 6 am until 8am (school starts).  And then 3pm until 600pm. 

I have three open seats in my van so I can accommodate up to three kids driving to and from school. (I have three of my own - two in middle school and one preschooler)

I am a certified teacher and have a Master's degree in Education (BA in Writing) and would provide an afterschool snack and homework time and tutoring if necessary.   I taught high school and college for 10 years before working at home as a technical writer.  

I would also consider taking kids on inservice days and early outs as well.  

My own children (the ones in school) are straight A students and have no behavioral issues.  We are a non-smoking house.  We do have a dog, but he's an old lab who just lays around.  We have over an acre of yard plus we're on a cul-de-sac (the only house in the cul-de-sac) that is right next to a park area with a walking path.  Lots of room to play

So, I'm lost as to what to charge for those "services".  What do you think?

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:56 AM
That's really hard to answer since different areas have different cost of living stats. I know where I live is one of the lowest in the US. I suggest checking daycare advertisements in your area, check the paper and such. Also call around to daycare centers and get prices. Just act like you are considering using them lol.
motherofzandz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:00 PM

I would say maybe $50 a kid? I am not sure I havent had to get a sitter but I think $50 a week would be average ? 

Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:54 PM

$75 per week per child.

$100 for the week that you need to take children on off days.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:42 PM

I would check rates in your area and go from there.

janessa27
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Quoting motherofzandz:

I would say maybe $50 a kid? I am not sure I havent had to get a sitter but I think $50 a week would be average ? 

This is what I would think too- seems to be the average rate in my area anyways. Good Luck- sounds like an awesome program for the kids:)

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Local tutors around here charge $15-$25/hr.  I would call the school and see what they charge for before/after care as well as what the daycares charge for pickup and before/after care and charge separately for tutoring but maybe include homework help in the package because not all kids will need tutoring. And tutoring is usually one-on-one.

ejkdmom
by Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:02 PM
You'd probably get much more money being a tutor. People are willing to pay more for that than childcare.

You can even do it on Skype! My son takes Japanese lessons on takelessons.com. It's like $50/hour. I don't know how much the site takes, but still much more than you would make from daycare.
goddess99
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:27 PM

I too would check local daycare prices and tutor costs. It's a great idea though and clearly you're more qualified than most. Good luck, hope everything works out!

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:45 PM

I think aorund here they get about $60 a week

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 3:15 PM

I agree to check the rates in your area.  I would be willing to pay $75 a week. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)