Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Bottle Nipple Problems Please Help!!!

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM
  • 5 Replies
My daughter is 3 weeks old and i'm having problems with the nipples on her bottles, I've been using the parent choice bottles from walmart haven't had a problem with them at all except the nipple hole is too small she sucks so hard is puts her to sleep and she don't even finish her 2oz. And it takes her about 45 minutes sometimes just to eat that much. So i went and bought the stage 2 med/fast flow soothie nipples and she would drink up to 4 oz but they were too fast some would come out the side of her mouth while she was drinking. I also tried another brand i forgot the name but she couldn't get ANY formula out of thoughs nipples. The only nipples that seem to work were the ones she used in the hospital and they were a one time use only. I'm tired of wasting money on nipples can someone please help!
by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
shoegirl01
by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 3:57 PM
I know they say you "shouldn't do this", but my aunt did with her 4 children and so did I with mine, I take a knife and cut a small X in the nipple hole to allow a greater flow.  I hope it helps. 
Davidsmom040907
by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 4:06 PM
I went through a sinilar problem with my son.  At 4 months, I had to ween him onto a bottle.  The newborn nipples were too slow of a flow.  He was doing the same thing your baby is doing.  I went through, gerber, vent aire, even flo, and soothie.  Nothing was doing the trick.  I finally asked a friend of mine and she said to use Dr Browns, stage 2.  David is now 9 months old and I still use the stage 2 Dr Brown's nipples.  I don't use the bottles for Dr brown.  I use Gerber bottles and put the Dr Browns nipples on it.  It works great.  Even at 9 months, David likes the stage 2.  I tried the stage 3 and it is still too fast for him.  It's just a suggestion.  Good luck, I know it can be frustrating. 
1stimemomof1
by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Quote:

by Davidsmom040907 on Jan. 13, 2008 at 4:06 PM

I went through a sinilar problem with my son.  At 4 months, I had to ween him onto a bottle.  The newborn nipples were too slow of a flow.  He was doing the same thing your baby is doing.  I went through, gerber, vent aire, even flo, and soothie.  Nothing was doing the trick.  I finally asked a friend of mine and she said to use Dr Browns, stage 2.  David is now 9 months old and I still use the stage 2 Dr Brown's nipples.  I don't use the bottles for Dr brown.  I use Gerber bottles and put the Dr Browns nipples on it.  It works great.  Even at 9 months, David likes the stage 2.  I tried the stage 3 and it is still too fast for him.  It's just a suggestion.  Good luck, I know it can be frustrating. 

I love Dr. Brown's!!! They were great for my preemie who had reflux, and they were one of the only brands that didn't cover her nose with the nipple/ring while she was trying to feed!(she was soooo tiny!)

ashleylynnp4
by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 7:58 PM
I use playtex bottles.  My daughter likes the slow flow nipples and is just starting the use the medium flow nipples. She is most often breastfed though so she does not use bottles much.
~LeeAnn~
armybrat2_1
by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 8:40 PM
First, congrats on the baby. If the milk is flowing to freely maybe try putting some cereal in the milk. this will make it a little thicker and it will not choke baby as they eat
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN