Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on Best Breast Pump for Working Moms

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 6:22 PM
  • 32 Replies

I am looking for some advice on what brand breast pump to purchase when I get ready to go back to work after my maternity leave. This will be my second baby. My son is now seven years old and I am due to have his sister in the end of October or beginning of November. Of course I plan to breastfeed my daughter as I did with my son. I will be going back to work after my 6 week maternity leave and I will need a good breast pump that won't take alot of time and will yield good results. I am big on checking reviews and seeing what others say before I make big purchases. I know that breast pumps can be expensive so I want some honest input on what works well and what doesnt and why. Please let me know what your suggestions are and why... and if there was one you tried and didn't like... why?

Thanks!

by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Karmahappens
by Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Hospital pump. You can purchase used -for about half of new-and sell it when you are done-all the tubing and flanges will be new-my insurance covered the first set because I got it thru the hospital after the birth.

My Pump was $320 on Ebay (Medela Lactina) and when I was done I sold it for $300.

HunnyBabie
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I've only used the manual Avent pump.

Here's why I like them, the insert that actually touches the breast:

Here's a pic of their electric pump.  One of their electrics is called "Avent Comfort Double electric breast pump".  I don't like the idea of using an electric, but I understand their faster.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Hopefully the others can help :)

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:05 PM

No idea sorry.Been many years since I needed one

illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:12 PM

First, are you in the US? If so, check with your insurance - the Affordable Care Act mandates that health insurers cover breast pumps for all mothers. The pump provided and the procedure to get it varies, but your plan may well cover a double electric pump.

Having said that, the only pumps I've ever used were Medela. I had my first baby before the ACA took effect, so I did purchase my pump (well, my mom actually bought it for me, but it was purchased brand-new). I used the Medela Pump-in-Style Advanced, and it worked very well for the entire year that I used it. I also had a manual pump, the Medela Harmony. I did have to purchase larger flanges, but the flanges that come with the pump are the "most common" size. Some women need bigger, some smaller. I replaced the membranes every other month, never needed to replace the tubing. It is an open system, so don't purchase it used - there's no way to fully sterilize the pump between users, even if you replace all tubing and valves.
Two things I like about the pump: 1) It has two different speeds, one for stimulating let-down and the other for pumping once let-down occurs. If it seemed like milk flow was slowing, I could switch back to the faster speed to try and stimulate another let-down. 2) The power level (how hard it suctioned) was adjustable. This was really big for me, because some days my breasts were just too sensistive for high-level pumping, while other days I needed the extra power to get enough milk out.

With my second baby, my insurance provided me with a brand-new Ameda Purely Yours double electric pump. I'd give you a review on it, but the box is still sealed, so I can't even tell you what it comes with.

la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:30 PM

I had the Ameda Purely yours, loved it! Made pumping easy but I've been told pumping is easier for me then it is for other mom's.

Medela is an awesome brand too. My SIL swore by her Harmony one

lil_mama06
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Hope you find one...Alot of my friends that went back to work after baby used one from the hospital...I didn't use one....

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Medela Pump In Style. I went back to work at 6 weeks and strictly pumped to feed DD for 15 months. Make sure it's a dual pump so you can pump both breasts at the same time. 

sanj1213
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:58 PM
Read up on some reviews it's always helped me decide. Atm I use a manual so I'm not much help. Hope you find the best one for you.
mamamedic69
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 2:14 PM

I used the Avent manual pump. I had one (borrowed) from the hospital but I was moving and couldn't afford to purchase it. I never found an electric one I liked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)