Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching self help skills to 4 year old

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:11 PM
  • 27 Replies
My dd is 4 and will be starting preschool next Thursday. She is good at doing everything herself except for wiping her own butt. I told her today after she went poop to show me how she did it herself. She kind of did it, but got poop on her fingers. How can I teach her to clean herself without getting poop all over everywhere? I don't expect her to get it down fully by then, but something learned would be good.
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM

I started teaching that when mine trained before 3.  Mine went to preschool at 3 and 4.  Only way to learn is to do it.  They won't be perfect.  Maybe they will not poop at preschool ever.  

HunnyBabie
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

What about kind of winding the tissue around her hand, and tell her to count to five or so.  Then she's got that many layers between her hand and her butt?

You could do it for her and remind her before hand to pay attention to what it feels like.

You could put your hand behind hers to guide her doing it and then she'll have a better sense of what it should feel like.

It's kind of going to depend on what learning style works best for her, I think.

yvonne37
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 12:37 PM

practice. I gave my daughter wipes and told her to wipe with the wet ones first and then the toilet paper... she had her "accidents" but learned pretty quickly.  Have her do it all the time on her own.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:44 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Aww lots of practice & have her show you so you can help as/when needed :)

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 12:52 PM

We started with the flushable wet wipes. When she could clean herself, we went to regular toilet paper. 

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 12:56 PM

At 4 years old, they still need help with wiping poop.  That is pretty much to be expected.  

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Just keep at it and let her practice.Maybe she can practice on a doll?

la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Practice makes perfect : ) 

lil_mama06
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:34 PM

My girls just practiced...And good hand washing after potty time...

virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Keep practicing. Same thing over and over.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)