Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How far in advance should I send a resume?

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:35 PM
  • 30 Replies
I'm going on vacation in a few weeks & want to interview for a new job while I'm on vacation.

How far in advance should I apply for jobs? It's been 8 years since I have switched jobs.
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:10 PM
Of you have 3 weeks or so before vacation I would apply asap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:22 PM
I need to clarify- it's a staycation. I'm not going anywhere. I am taking it off because I have over 2 weeks of vacation time to use or lose at the end of the year. I know during the holidays I will lose hours & be able to make up time with vacation hours if I'm still there. I work at a daycare so when the numbers are low the staff gets hours cut.

My fear is if I start applying now then I will get calls for interviews when I can't take time off. And then if I wait til the week before I fear I won't get any calls.

Quoting atlmom2: Of you have 3 weeks or so before vacation I would apply asap.
sabrtooth1
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this

You cannot guarentee when you will get a response back from a job app.  Some employers will NEVER answer you, some will hang on to all the resumes to evaluate at once, some will set up interviews as they go thru the hiring process.  Save vacation, and use it for interviews.  If you REALLY want a new job, you have to be available to interview when THEY want you, within reason.  MAKE time available.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:28 AM
That's just the thing. My job current job is at a daycare. I have to give 2 weeks notice for any time off. I work 9-6. There is no "making time". I can't call off because there will be no one to cover my class. And I can't go in late. The only thing I can do is make an interview at the time between when the bus picks DS up for school (7:30am) & when I have to be at work.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

You cannot guarentee when you will get a response back from a job app.  Some employers will NEVER answer you, some will hang on to all the resumes to evaluate at once, some will set up interviews as they go thru the hiring process.  Save vacation, and use it for interviews.  If you REALLY want a new job, you have to be available to interview when THEY want you, within reason.  MAKE time available.

sabrtooth1
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting CampClan: That's just the thing. My job current job is at a daycare. I have to give 2 weeks notice for any time off. I work 9-6. There is no "making time". I can't call off because there will be no one to cover my class. And I can't go in late. The only thing I can do is make an interview at the time between when the bus picks DS up for school (7:30am) & when I have to be at work.

If you were vomiting copiously, you would call off at the last minute, and they would survive without you.  You are going to have to do that, if the prospective employer cannot work around your schedule.  Granted, you cannot do that often, so make sure the job you are interviewing for is worth the danger. 

My dd just got called for an interview at a place she applied to 6 months ago.  If she cannot schedule time off, she will tell them at the last minute she must leave early for an emergency.  Does she run the risk of them getting the wind up?  Yes.  Is the potential new job worth it?  Yes. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:42 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 12:21 PM

I would apply now,
Good luck :)

yvonne37
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 12:35 PM

I would apply on my last weeks vacation, but thats just me. I dont know exactly what your plans are, are you going on vacations somewhere or just staying home? if you are staying then apply right away. good luck!

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:05 PM

I would do it now,Good luck

lil_mama06
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:28 PM

I would start putting in apps...Good Luck..

la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Quoting hugss:

I would apply now,Good luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)