Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Terrible 2's Before Turning 2

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2015 at 8:28 PM
  • 39 Replies

I really need advice because my fiance and I have never seen my son act so freaking terrible ever! It is just recently that he has been just the worst child. And yes i am horrible for saying that but I have no other way to describe my son's behavior as of lately.

We joke about him starting his terrible 2s but he has just been out of control. He is screaming bloody murder whenever he doesn't get what he wants and sometimes even for no reason. He is throwing things even when we tell him to stop. He is starting to hit the pets which he never used to do until recently. He will throw himself on the floor and kick and scream when we have to grab him or take something away.

He has never misbehaved this terribly before which is why we have a hard time dealing with it the right way. Everything we have tried to do to correct him and show him when he's behaving badly just doesn't work. We have taken toys away, sat him down and make sure he can't play for a certain amount of time (we don't have a place to put him for time out and since he is still so young we don't think it will work), and even swat his butt (not very hard and its on top of his diaper not on his bare butt). We play with him and spend even more time with him than usual until he gets sick of us when he starts acting this way to see if he is acting out for attention which seems not to work because he goes right back to misbehaving.

Please we are desperate for some help and trying to find ways that can help us out with dealing with this behavior. I feel terrible because I think it is our fault he is acting this way. I just don't know why and I wish I did.

Please help and if you're gonna judge go ahead but I'd really just prefer help.

by on Sep. 9, 2015 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blsdbyangel07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2015 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds normal. Sorry I'm no help :/ twos, threes and fours were a nightmare. Get on his level. Be consistent with redirecting and disciplining him.
blsdbyangel07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2015 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe try a behavior chart where he can earn points for good behavior. I did this with my son. I bought a treasure box from Oriental Trading and put small toys from the dollar bins and dollar tree in there along with lollipops(his favorite candy at the time). I made sure I not only corrected his bad behavior but praised good behavior along with a point and after so many days (I did a week) he'd get a treat if he had enough points.
Ivys_a_Mommy
by Member on Sep. 9, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Would he be ale to understand them though? He is going to be 2 in october.

Quoting blsdbyangel07: Maybe try a behavior chart where he can earn points for good behavior. I did this with my son. I bought a treasure box from Oriental Trading and put small toys from the dollar bins and dollar tree in there along with lollipops(his favorite candy at the time). I made sure I not only corrected his bad behavior but praised good behavior along with a point and after so many days (I did a week) he'd get a treat if he had enough points.

blsdbyangel07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2015 at 9:18 PM
My son did at 2. You'd be surprised! But then again some of the sanctimonmies on here may call it bribery.

Of course you'd be more lenient with him being he's so young versus an older child. Consistency is key. It also works well when you start potty training him.

Quoting Ivys_a_Mommy:

Would he be ale to understand them though? He is going to be 2 in october.

Quoting blsdbyangel07: Maybe try a behavior chart where he can earn points for good behavior. I did this with my son. I bought a treasure box from Oriental Trading and put small toys from the dollar bins and dollar tree in there along with lollipops(his favorite candy at the time). I made sure I not only corrected his bad behavior but praised good behavior along with a point and after so many days (I did a week) he'd get a treat if he had enough points.

blsdbyangel07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2015 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
btw you aren't horrible :) most of us moms feel that way but we're not horrible and it's not our fault! This is a very normal toddler phase for kids to go through. It's the testing mom's patience phase... Let's see how many buttons I can press haha kind of thing.
thurman.06
by on Sep. 9, 2015 at 9:28 PM
Time outs are not to early. What ever form of discipline needs to be consistent. This will pass. It's normal for children to challenge authority at this age. If he throws a tantrum ignore it. If he hits the pets remove him from the situation immediately. To much attention is a bad thing. When you are anxious he can feel it.
kinshipcaremama
by New Member on Sep. 9, 2015 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to work in childcare working with infants and toddlers. I always told parents the terrible twos start at 16 months and end around 3.5 years. Your kiddo is pretty typical. Try not to think of him as being awful. He is learning limits and trying to be more independent than he is capable of being so he's frustrated. The only way he knows right now to express that frustration is by yelling and throwing fits. He isn't trying to be bad, he just doesn't have the skills yet. Label his feeling when he's having trouble so he can learn to use words instead of "naughty" behavior. Trust me when I say this stage is just as hard for him as it is for you.....maybe harder because he doesn't understand its a stage and won't last forever. Remember, being little is hard work.
Ivys_a_Mommy
by Member on Sep. 9, 2015 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much. You don't know how much I appreciate your advice and support!

Quoting blsdbyangel07: btw you aren't horrible :) most of us moms feel that way but we're not horrible and it's not our fault! This is a very normal toddler phase for kids to go through. It's the testing mom's patience phase... Let's see how many buttons I can press haha kind of thing.

Ivys_a_Mommy
by Member on Sep. 9, 2015 at 10:05 PM

I'm relieved to know that what we are going through is normal.

Quoting thurman.06: Time outs are not to early. What ever form of discipline needs to be consistent. This will pass. It's normal for children to challenge authority at this age. If he throws a tantrum ignore it. If he hits the pets remove him from the situation immediately. To much attention is a bad thing. When you are anxious he can feel it.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2015 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd was about 15 months and 3 to 4 as the worst of it all.  At that age, walk away and ignore.  He wants attention and give him none.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)