Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

HELP!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2008 at 8:16 PM
  • 6 Replies
My son is eight months old and is now showing a bad temper.  He cries when he doesn't have his way and I don't know what to do!  He cries when I leave the room, he cries when I don't hold him....he's never happy anymore!!!
by on Jan. 14, 2008 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
amanda43302
by on Jan. 14, 2008 at 8:18 PM
Sounds to me like a normal baby.....it happens sometimes! hang in there! Trust me, your gonna get alot of comments telling you how common the things you just mentioned are sweetie!
Dawn100173
by on Jan. 14, 2008 at 8:22 PM
Oh My.... have I been there done that.... sounds like a phase he's going through.... I wouldn't worry, just be patient.
ksinclair
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 12:42 PM
My son just turned 9 months & is going through the same thing.  It is totally normal.  Seperation anxiety & trying to "express" himself the best way he knows how.  I have spoken with his pedi on this.  She PROMISES this too shall pass!!!
melhall07
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 1:07 PM
You have already gotten the same feedback I would, but what you haven't gotten is what to do in the meantime.  What I did and still do is I stop whatever I am doing and I play with him for a while.  I have two kids, a 4 year old and a 1 year old, and I include both of them in a game or activity that they both like.  Stuff like foam sword fighting or tag or puzzles or reading, ball rolling and balloon swatting are the best.  Do this for a while and the baby will start to understand that Mommy loves him.  Go and do your own thing for a while, then come back and play with baby more.  This will help him understand that when you are away, Mommy will came back later and the anxiety will diminish at a faster rate, hopefully.  Pick him up at times when he wants, but other times when you really can't give him attention, let him cry.  This will help the "I can't always get my way" attitude.  Baby's need as much love and affection as you can give them, but they also need to understand that you will get to them when YOU can, not when they DEMAND it.  Eventually the activities you play with him will be things that he thinks of on his own and he'll start to play by himself when you are busy doing your thing.  Leave different things around the house on the floor so he sees them and not just you.
jenjen81605
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 1:23 PM
Awe. I know it's making you feel crazy- but it really isn't anything to worry about. At 8 months, my son cried as much as he laughed and I could never figure out what was wrong.
Some suggestions though-
Check to see if he's teething.
try laying him down with a nice, warm, blanket and letting him cry it out in the crib for about 10mins. Yes, you'll feel like an awful mom, but it might be what he needs. He might just want to cry.
Have you tried movies yet? The movie We're Back! used to make my son calm down- sometimes only  for 5 minutes, but it was worth it.
And if all else fails, pass him off to daddy or get a baby sitter. Take a night to relax and come back in the morning with a fresh look. You might have what I call "tiard arms" which is where you're so stressed your baby can feel it too.

Good luck. Hopefully this won't last long.
Jess804
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 1:56 PM

I am sure it is probably nothing. Honestly it sounds like a nomal 8 month old but if you are concerned then talk to your babys doctor, that way they can rule out anything else that may be causing it. Or it could just be the formula, teething, or gas.(I always loved the Mylcone Drops) Good Luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)