Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She will NOT take these eye drops!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 4:49 PM
  • 59 Replies
DD is driving me up a wall with these eye drops. We both went to the optometrist this morning and were given drops to take for the allergies in our eyes. Although mine are awful, DD was given some as a preventative measure. She only needs to take one drop per eye and it's like i need to call a priest. She goes insane at the sheer mention of it. She's never needed eye drops before, so i don't know why she's being so scared. I've tried everything. I've tried putting them in after she relaxed. I've tried distracting her, even waiting until nap time. I managed to get one in, but after 3 minutes she woke up in hysterics when i started to opened the next eye. I don't know what to do. She needs to take them for 2 weeks. And i know i can't keep trying to wait until nap time, although it was the only successful method the screaming was too much. Is there a way you get your LOs to take eye drops? I'm at a complete lost.

Also to those asking why... The allergies are there they just aren't making her sick YET. Why would i do nothing and let her get sick? They're preventative to keep her from getting sick. I thought that was obviously as hell, but i guess not... The point of is i don't WANT her to be sick. If i know they will make her sick then I'm going to stop them from making her sick. see? Or should i let my daughter get sick and THEN do something?

UPDATE:
thanks to village.idiot i have successfully gotten the eye drops in! She still gets pouty, but at lest I don't have to worry about her being sick now xD which i can't even imagine since she's VERY dramatic lol.

Thank too to all you other mommies as well for helping me out and responding! :D
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
village.idiot
by Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 7:45 AM
3 moms liked this

Have her close her eyes, put the drop in the corner and then have her blink, blink, blink.  A lot wil go in.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 9, 2015 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Have her lie on her back and look sideways at something. A treat of some kind is good. While she is looking sideways you can drop the med in the side of the eye. I'd say to tell her this is what you are going to do, and that she can have the treat when you are done.  Along with this, you can make sure that she sees you drop the med in your own eyes, looking sideways so she sees exactly what you are going to do. It may take a couple times, but keep trying. :)

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 9, 2015 at 8:56 AM

I like this idea.  Easy and you aren't actually putting the drop into her eye, she may not mind as much.

Quoting village.idiot:

Have her close her eyes, put the drop in the corner and then have her blink, blink, blink.  A lot wil go in.

sanj1213
by on Oct. 9, 2015 at 10:24 AM
I agree with village. That's a good idea. Atleast some will get in :)
Mookeymom
by on Oct. 9, 2015 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I always started with my laying his head down and then put the drop closer to his nose and then had my son rotate his in the direction I needed the drop to go that way it wasn't a scary white thing coming at his eye.

If you put your own finger up to your nose by your eye there is a point you can't really see it.
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Warm the eye drops first so they're not cold. 

BabyIslasMom
by on Oct. 9, 2015 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Doesn't sound like a reason to be torturing the poor kid. Why would you go through that for something so silly? Save the drama for a time when you have no choice in the matter, like she needs antibiotics or something. She's not going to die without these eye drops. Why are you acting like she will?
mikesmom65270
by on Oct. 9, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Mine usually required two adults to accomplish the process, one to hold the child and one to put in the drops.

la_bella_vita
by on Oct. 9, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Quoting sanj1213: I agree with village. That's a good idea. Atleast some will get in :)

I agree too

JAIRATRACI
by on Oct. 9, 2015 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I had to 'sit' on my youngest with his arms pinned to his sides forcing one eye open while my sister put the drops in his eyes when he had pink eye. He can squeeze his eyes shut so damn tight it's ridiculous.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)