Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I NEED SLEEP!!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 12:09 AM
  • 13 Replies
I need some advie on getting my baby to sleep and having her stay that way. She is almost 6 months and won't go to sleep till 11 after fighting for 2/3 hours, then she still gets up every 2-3 hours after that. Please help me!!!
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sexymomma212004
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 12:19 AM
Can you tell me what you have tried before? See i am sort of in the same boat but at least once I get him to sleep he'll sleep for at least 6 or 7 hours.   I know that they say stick to a routine so I am trying that route now.  I know that some people say the last bottle to put some cereal in it but that doesnt work for my baby.  Ok I am so bombing his helping thing LOL but I know that if you stick to a routine it helps. 
Sabrina aka proud momma of Corwin II and Keegan
viedansant
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 1:48 PM
I can certainly sympathize with you.  Our little guy was up EVERY three hours round the clock until he was 8 months old.  You could have set your watch by it.  Try to encourage your wee one but don't force it.  Remember she will find her own rythem eventually.  We actuaully were given a toy that helped.  It is a Fisher Price jungle thingy that clips onto the crib and when you press a button some back lighting comes on and "hush little baby" plays for 8-18 minutes (depending on the setting) It was just enough distraction to get baby sleepy and mommy out of site.
In the meantime, try Celestial Seasonings Candy Cane tea.  It is caffeine free, delicious and makes being up at ungodly hours a bit more tolerable.
TylersMom4921
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 1:58 PM
Are you breast feeding? As soon as my son took the bottle, he slept through the night. Formula keeps their little tummies fuller. If your opposed to formula, you can put a touch of rice cereal in a bottle of your breast milk.
jenjen81605
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 2:07 PM
I'm sure if there were a magic way to get kids to sleep every mom would know it by now . haha.

One thing I used to do with my son, Jack, was read. We'd sit in the rocking chair in his room and I'd read The Sleep Book (dr. suesse) a few dozen times while he drank a bottle. I used formula, but if you're beast feeding, try giving her a full bottle of breast milk with about 1/2oz of baby rice or baby cereal- it should keep her baby belly a little more full. When she wakes up, try to just let her cry for about 10-20 mins. Yes, you'll feel like an awful mother, but it might be what she needs- my rule for my son when he was that age was pretty much "give him 10mins, if he doesn't sleep, bring him a bottle and give him another 10. If he STILL doesn't sleep, go sing/read to him for a while."
I can't promise that it'll work, but it's always worth a try. Good luck!
HudsonsMommy
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 2:15 PM
I know you want her to go down at a decent hour however fighting with her for a couple hours stinks for you and for her. (I know from experience.) You surely don't need the extra stress especiially if you are not getting any sleep. So my idea is to let her tire herself out more. Just let her play. Quietly, with dim lights. Doing things like reading books, or cuddling with animals or anything else she likes to do that is quiet and relaxing. The calmer your house is, the easier for her to wind downa nd go to sleep. Try and keep a routine. I know how hard that can be but now that I have her on a better routine. It seems that she is thriving. (Slept through the night last night.) We do bath time. Brush her teeth. (All 4 of them. lol) and then read some books quietly. Then I try to put her down. I still ahve to put her to sleep, but it is so much better than fighting with her. As for sleeping more than 2 hours at a time, what are you doing when she gets up in the night? Nursing? Feeding? Letting her cry?

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
Taylorsmommy86
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 1:52 AM
I ahve triend alot, from cerel in the bottle to letting her cry herself to sleep. But when we let her cry herself she won't  go to sleep she will cry for hours. She is like the energizer bunny lol. The hard part is I live with my mom step dad friend and brother so letting her cry isn't always a possiblity.
Taylorsmommy86
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 1:53 AM
Thank you for ressponding I will try it.
Taylorsmommy86
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 1:53 AM
She gets a bottle and I have tried cereal in the bottle. She is even on jar food.
Taylorsmommy86
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 1:54 AM
Its hard to the crying thing I have triend and she will cry for an hour or more, and that is hard to le her do in the middle of the night when she gets up, I live with my parents brother and friend.
Taylorsmommy86
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 1:55 AM
   When she gets up I give her a bottle she may not even drink it but it soothes her she won't take a pacifier.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN