Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby is shrinking??

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:57 PM
  • 42 Replies

Hi everyone i have my daughter who is currently 2 months and 1 week old. she had her 2 month check up today and i was told according to her measuremtns today everything went down since her last visit 5 weeks ago. this is the size of her head got smaller, her length got shorter, and she has lost weight. I have been exclusively breastfeeding and i take postnatal vitamins. Has anyone ever had this issue with theyre baby, if so what was the outcome? im thinking maybe my calorie intake isnt enough which means when i feed her my milk may be lite which can explain the weight issue but what about her head and length measurements? any and all feedback welcomed, thanks in advance. for the record my daughter was squirming around a bit, but her ped took the measurements 3-4 different times to be sure.

by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd ask to go back in a week, because all measurements going down like that can only be a recording error from your last visit. A different nurse, a new tape measure, a typo - possibly all three. When my son went in for his 4-week visit, the nurse tried to tell me he had shrunk 2 inches from birth. At his 8-week checkup, he was 3" longer than that nurse had measured him at the previous visit - the doctor agreed with me, that it was the nurse. Maybe there was a mix-up when they were recording on your last visit.

If you're worried about your milk, try doing a weighed feeding, to ensure your baby is transferring enough milk. Don't attempt to pump to see how much you produce, that is not an accurate measure. And make sure you're getting enough calories, if you think that's an issue (although I doubt it; insufficient calories would lead to less milk, not "lite" milk, so ignore whomever suggested that one).

mommyandethan
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:32 PM

yea i was told her next appt is when she turns 4 months, but i will call tomorrow and see if she can get seen next week instead. now when you say "weighed feeding" exactly what is that, im a second time mom however my supply sucked with my son so i ended up doing formaula i dont want to do that this time around so this is all new to me. 
Quoting illogicalkat:

I'd ask to go back in a week, because all measurements going down like that can only be a recording error from your last visit. A different nurse, a new tape measure, a typo - possibly all three. When my son went in for his 4-week visit, the nurse tried to tell me he had shrunk 2 inches from birth. At his 8-week checkup, he was 3" longer than that nurse had measured him at the previous visit - the doctor agreed with me, that it was the nurse. Maybe there was a mix-up when they were recording on your last visit.

If you're worried about your milk, try doing a weighed feeding, to ensure your baby is transferring enough milk. Don't attempt to pump to see how much you produce, that is not an accurate measure. And make sure you're getting enough calories, if you think that's an issue (although I doubt it; insufficient calories would lead to less milk, not "lite" milk, so ignore whomever suggested that one).

AbbeysMom2013
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 7:35 AM
The weight going down would be some what normal, but I have never heard of the legnth and head measurement going down. I would assume it was a bad measurement. Did the dr say anything about it?
LaniBee
by on Oct. 27, 2015 at 7:55 AM

I agree that the lowered weight is normal, but the other measurements are most likely a mistake. Does your baby seem happy and thriving?

lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 27, 2015 at 8:15 AM

I agree...

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: The weight going down would be some what normal, but I have never heard of the legnth and head measurement going down. I would assume it was a bad measurement. Did the dr say anything about it?

virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 9:11 AM

what did the doctor say about it? 

mommyandethan
by Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 9:26 AM
She was just saying it went down, then she asked me if the baby was still eating regularly

Quoting lalasmama2007:

I agree...

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: The weight going down would be some what normal, but I have never heard of the legnth and head measurement going down. I would assume it was a bad measurement. Did the dr say anything about it?

illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 9:56 AM

A weighed feeding is when you weigh your baby just before feeding, then nurse her for a full session, then weigh her again. The amount her weight goes up, is the amount of milk she consumed. Pediatricians' office scales are sensitive enough for it, if the doctor is willing. Or, you can see a lactation consultant, or you might see if there's a La Leche League meeting near you - the leader might have a scale or know of where you can borrow one. (La Leche League is a free breastfeeding support group, you can find a group local to you here.)

Also, if you qualify for WIC, they have nursing support services as well.

Quoting mommyandethan:

yea i was told her next appt is when she turns 4 months, but i will call tomorrow and see if she can get seen next week instead. now when you say "weighed feeding" exactly what is that, im a second time mom however my supply sucked with my son so i ended up doing formaula i dont want to do that this time around so this is all new to me. 
Quoting illogicalkat:

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 27, 2015 at 9:57 AM

She must have known it would worry you.  I agree with your plan to call and bring the baby in for more measurements, and also express your concern to your doctor. Do you think the doctor may have just been referring to the baby's weight when she commented about "it" going down?

Quoting mommyandethan: She was just saying it went down, then she asked me if the baby was still eating regularly
Quoting lalasmama2007:

I agree...

yvonne37
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 10:02 AM

maybe the first measurments are off?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)