Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My One year old wakes up at night Screaming...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 12:39 PM
  • 18 Replies
He wakes up and is screaming at the top of his lungs. I always make sure everything is alright you know the basics like dirty diaper, sick, stuck or hurt, and it's just something he is doing more and more everynight. The night before last it was twice. I was just wonering if anyone else has had a problem like this and if so how did they fix it.
Amanda
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gorillamom
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 12:44 PM
is he teething? has he been sick? could he be hungry?
Kaosai
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 1:23 PM
My sister had this problem for a few weeks with her daughter. The doctor told her it was very possible to be nightmares. If the child has had a stressful day, a change in his or her life or perhaps something happened at daycare, they can all contribute to that behavior. I am not sure how true it might be at one years old but I wanted to share with you.
mom3cutieboyz
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 1:55 PM
Unfortunately it may be something you have to live with.  I have a 2 yr old whose been doing the same thing since he was born.  I asked the pediatrician for advice and she said to have his older brother lay down with him, tried that didn't work, try his favorite toy, didn't work either.  I even lay down with him and he'll eventually go back to sleep so I can slip back to my room with my husband and he'll wake up looking for me.  Don't know what else to do.  I try to ask him what's wrong, thirsty, hurt, potty.  Nothing is wrong.  I've tried naps during the day and staying up late, no nap and going to bed early.  Nothing works.  I've just come to live with the problem.
baylieNdaisy
by on Feb. 22, 2008 at 12:24 PM
baylie does this still occasionally. its usually bad dreams. I changer her, and sit on the floor of her bedroom with her for a few mins, long enough to make her smile again, then back into bed she goes. sometimes she cries after i leave, but my mom always told me after you know that they aren't sick or hurt, its okay to let them cry a little. you might try a night light or a favorite stuffed toy or blanket to help with self comforting.
cheersam
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 12:27 AM
i know what this probly is   its called night terrors my boys both did it . stay calm  its ok they dream there brain gets over stimulated  and so the body fights sleep so much that they wake up screaming at the top of there lungs   then when they realize that they are doing it when you come it  it scares them thats why they call it night terrors . it has to ware off just sooth and comfert  till its over reastablish its ok and back to bed no playing or any of that they will get shorter till you will have to tri to ignore 1 or 2 i hate to say it so he learns its ok to go back to bed by himself
hope this helps
Shanny0069
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 2:52 AM
Hi,
My name is Shannon and I've got a one year old Nicholaus-Lee who does the same thing. He wakes up around three every morn like clock work and screams and screams....it's like it never stops. But I know why he does it.....our home is haunted. No really it is....When I was nine months pregant with Nick I was having contractions and I thought that they were just falls ones and I was trying to sleep and all of a sudden I felt two gentle hands hold onto my hand and whisper everythings gonna be fine dear. And not even five minutes after that my contractions got worse and we called the dr. and she said to come in just in case. So we did and my son was born Sunday Feb 4th 2007 at 5:08pm. I thought I was dreaming about the hands. But then about a month after Nick was home from the hospital I woke up to feed him and he was crying like babies do when they are hungery. Well I saw this little girl with long curly brown hair in a white fluffy dress (old fashion dresses) standing in my door way looking at me and then walked into his room. Now I see the little girl all the time and she's been in his room around the same time he wakes up. My husband bought one of those nanny cam bears and put in his room and we've cought a few ghost on the cam. They say that children can pick up more energy then adults because they don't know what is real and what is not. Also I've been told that children can draw in the ghost. Don't know if that is true or not. But I know that for my son's waking up in the middle of the night is because of the little girl...I call her Sue from curly sue....she looks just like that little girl.... The funny thing is.... at my baby shower my cuz told his mom (he's five) that there was a little girl in the back bed room and she wouldn't play with him....Well my sister had her kids there but he said it wasn't any of her girls. That this little girl wouldn't talk to him or play she just looked at him funny.....My grandmother told me about what Corbin said about the girl not playing with him and that's when I new that I was not crazy.....
My house is haunted and that's why my son wakes up...she plays in his room all the time. I go in there and she will be sitting in his wooden rocken chair reading a book.
Anyways, my advice is maybe trying a Nanny Cam... if you don't see a ghost in there then okay...but maybe there's something else that's waking him up that you may be able to pick up on.

Thanks
Shannon
I'M NOT CRAZY really I'm not.
nb14738
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 10:33 AM
I just went through this same thing with my 1 year old. He would wake up in the middle of the night every night screaming and crying and we couldn't figure out what was wrong. My husband suggested getting a night light to put in his room that maybe he was waking up in the middle of the night and it was pitch dark and that the dark was starting to scare him. We went out and bought a night light and he hasnt woken up in the middle of the night screaming since!!
knoxmomof2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2008 at 10:44 AM
Our son did that, and we never really figured out why... I knew it wasn't hunger, etc.. and he didn't seem to be in pain. I would just hold him, rock him, rub his back, etc.. and eventually he would calm down. I think the phrase is "Night Terrors"? Possibly nightmares... good luck!
ProudMami1206
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 10:50 AM
I have a 1 yr old son..And he is the some way..But he wakes up about 3-4 times a night..So I go in his room to make sure he's OK..Then I change his diaper, give him his blanket, and bottle...If here's no more milk...I make about 4-6 more oz and make it warm enough...Then he'll fall back asleep... I don't know if that is going work because all baby's are different.

MoMmY122206
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 10:54 AM
My daughter is just over a year and she keeps waking up about 3 nights a week. Sometimes she is hungry, other times she is scared, and I also noticed right before she started walking that she was up every night. I have several nurses in my family and I asked them for advice. It seems that sometimes babies go through a stage where they wake up at night because they are in a "get up and go" mode.

~Sheena~ <3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)