Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 Foods to Eat When You Feel Anxious

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:35 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

6 Foods to Eat When You Feel Anxious

anxious woman

You're feeling jittery, your mind is racing, and your palms are so sweaty you can barely keep hold of your smartphone. Are you going to get in a crash on the highway? What if that mole on your shoulder is skin cancer? And why is a car you don't know parked in front of your house -- could it be a robber? If these OMG thoughts sound familiar, you're probably battling anxiety.

... which can zap your energy, distract you from your REAL life, and leave you a bundle of raw nerves.

Certain things can help anxiety, though. Exercise for one. Getting enough rest. And of course, talking with a therapist. But the food you can eat can give you relief, too.

We're not talking about emotional eating, FYI. But certain nutrients can  affect your brain chemistry and help you climb off that anxiety coaster.

The Stir asked Susan Albers, PsyD, a clinical psychologist at The Cleveland Clinic and New York Times best-selling author of 50 More Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food: Mindfulness Strategies to Cope With Stress and End Emotional Eating: What go-to foods SHOULD you have in your pantry or fridge if you're prone to anxiety?

Here's the short list:

1. Dark Chocolate: Sounds too good to be true, but dark chocolate "helps release mood-boosting chemicals such as dopamine and boosts serotonin," explains Albers. "Just 1 oz. can do wonders for keeping you calm." One study found that people who ate 1 and 1/2 ounces a day for two weeks significantly reduced their levels of stress hormones.

2. Oatmeal: That morning porridge helps out in two ways. One, the fiber it contains keeps your blood sugar steady so you avoid mood crashes. Two, "complex carbs are involved in the release of serotonin, which produces a sense of calmness," Albers says. Not a fan of oatmeal? Try quinoa, whole-grain breads, or whole-grain cereals instead.

3. Oranges: Yes, this does have to do with vitamin C, every orange's most famous trait. All that C "boosts the immune system and reduces cortisol levels," notes Albers. (Cortisol is known as the "stress hormone.") In one study, large doses of vitamin C reduced people's physical AND mental responses to stress, so if you don't like citrus fruits, try a supplement.

4. Spinach: When you're stressed, your blood pressure rises. Spinach can help. "It's high in magnesium, which plays a key role in regulating and lowering blood pressure naturally," Albers says. Low magnesium's also been linked to anxiety AND depression.

5. Skim Milk: Drink a glass, have it with cereal -- either way, you'll get a  calming effect, says Albers. Milk's also been proven to reduce stress-related PMS symptoms. Did we mention it will also help you sleep at night?

6. Avocado: Maybe there's a scientific reason we can't resist chips and guac. "Avocados contain healthy fats which help regulate nerve communication and help you think clearer," explains Albers. A deficiency in vitamin B has been linked to anxiety; avocados are also high in those stress-relieving vitamins.

Remember, eating these foods -- even in bulk, which we don't recommend -- won't make your anxiety magically disappear. If you feel your worrying is out of control, you need to look into ways to change your negative thought patterns for good. Explore mindfulness, keep a worry journal, stay away from people who ratchet up your anxiety, and consider asking for professional help.

What do you eat when you're feeling anxious?

by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:57 AM

Thank you. I didn't know about any of these other than chocolate being beneficial.

I do reach for candy when I am anxious. hmmm.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 31, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Thanks!

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

RainbowEater
by on Mar. 31, 2016 at 8:24 PM
The caffeine in dark chocolate can actually make a person more anxious. All the others should be eaten as part of a healthy diet anyway, except skim milk. More and more studies are coming out to say how horrible milk is for humans, how the acidity of it actually leeches calcium from our bones. Never knew osteoporosis would make me feel less anxious. Who the hell writes this stuff? Try a tumeric supplement for an actual all natural mood lifter and anxiety decreaser
peachesforme
by Member on Apr. 1, 2016 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree with the avocados. I feel my body just feeling great after I have one, like its saying thank you. Bananas and peanut butter also make me feel good. The magnesium and healthy fats are good for your brain and heart.
SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2016 at 10:27 PM

I knew about the dark chocolate, but not the others, all of which are part of my regular meals except skim milk-I drink small amounts of whole milk and other dairy products. Maybe that's why I'm seldome anxious.

louannwilkins
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2016 at 7:01 AM

Thanks for the info.  I eat everything on this list especially the chocolate!  :)

LRHocker
by Member on Jun. 3, 2016 at 9:02 AM

Pretzels

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)