Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Post-partum Depression, Anyone?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 3:02 PM
  • 4 Replies
Hi Moms! I'm 38 and had my first baby (Alex) in October. It took me years to get pregnant, and even then, my husband and I underwent the lovely challenges of IVF. Fortunately, it worked after a couple of tries. I love my baby to death, but have to admit that for the first several weeks, I was in a pretty major depression. I cried a lot and felt so stifled and confined at home. It's not as if I was/am such a career-minded person; I love my home and always longed to be a mom and stay home, even just part time. But I changed my tune in a big way when I was going through the depression. I never felt worse in my life (mentally)! I went on Sarafem, a mild anti-depressant my OB recommended. It kicked in a few weeks later, and I started going back to work last week (which I had to do regardless of how I felt). Honestly, I feel good again and am so happy to see my baby when I get home at night. I feel kind of guilty about it, but I think a happy mom makes for a happy baby (and rest of the household). Has anyone else gone thru depression after the baby was born?
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jennahayes
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 3:04 PM
I still am and I am working thru it.  Yup your not the only one!!
LadyMaya
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 3:39 PM
When I look back on it now, I realize I probably did have post-partum depression with my first daughter.  Friends now tell me how worried they were about me then.  After my second daughter, I was too tired to be depressed.  *grin*

Truthfully, though...it's tough, and it's best to get the help.  I wish I had had someone talk to me about it when I was experiencing it, so I could've gotten the help I needed.  Instead I was pit-of-despair miserable and pretty much made everyone else that way too.
FeistyMama
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Your story sounds exactly like mine...only it took me a year and a half to realize what was going on.  Funny, I'm a nurse, and I can see it a mile away in anyone else, but I either ignored it in myself, or didn't want to believe that was the case.
Mine started as not being able to sleep, progressed into general irritability, and peaked when I thought I was going to leave my husband.  About that time, I was also becoming afraid of my own reactions to my child.  I'd never hurt her, don't get me wrong, but I began to understand WHY people hurt their kids...and that scared the hell out of me.
Going back to work full-time made a huge difference.  I felt stiffled at home, so being around adults helped.  I feel guilty at times, but my daughter is happy, healthy, and has really blossomed socially with the kids at 'school'.  I'm not saying it's a good fit for everyone, but you've heard the saying....If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy..."

mominneed739
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 6:16 PM
I was miserable. I thought my husband was going to leave.I went and seen my obgyn and they  hooked me up and got my levels back to normal.I cried all the time .I had no tollerance for anything. I was a constant B----, ALL the time.
I hated the way I felt.And I had a four year old to deal with, plus my husband ( the other kid) HAHAHA.
Try and get as much you time as you can. Do you have family close?

Hope you get a nap in LOL         
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured