Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

food ??'s when to start yogurt &/or meat babyfood (piog)

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 10:08 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hi- I am looking for some advice & input :)

I have a couple of questions, when should I add yogurt & or meat babyfoods?  My son is 7 months.  He's a Peanut 15 lbs & 25" but
he is able to sit up by himself  & pull himself up to stand...  

He started babyfood at 4 months.  He eats fruits & vegetables.  He has not had any reactions to any foods. 

I just went back to work 2 days/wk. & he does not drink any formula (nor will he take a bottle at all).  He gets small amounts of fluids from a cup & sippy cup while I am gone (as well as in the babyfood).

Thanks!
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sexymomma212004
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Wowser, I am surprised he doesn't drink a bottle.  They say the baby still gets most of his nutrition from the formula until they are a year old.  I started my oldest boy on meat at 9 months and he didn't have any reactions to it. 

Sabrina aka proud momma of Corwin II and Keegan
TXMOM00
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 12:05 AM
i started with cereal, then moved on to others when my son was about 9 months...
be careful with yogurt... my SON would develop a yeast infection on his butt from it! strange, but that's what the doc said!
try one food at a time to make sure he isn't allergic to it... then move on to the next.
have you tried formula in the sippy cup?
JacksMom619
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Quoting TXMOM00:

i started with cereal, then moved on to others when my son was about 9 months...
be careful with yogurt... my SON would develop a yeast infection on his butt from it! strange, but that's what the doc said!
try one food at a time to make sure he isn't allergic to it... then move on to the next.
have you tried formula in the sippy cup?

He won't take formula in a bottle, sippy cup,cup or even mixed w/ rice- he hates it!  He doesn't really even take breast milk much from a cup.  I am fortunate I can leave work & breastfeed him @ lunch.
JacksMom619
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Quoting sexymomma212004:

Wowser, I am surprised he doesn't drink a bottle.  They say the baby still gets most of his nutrition from the formula until they are a year old.  I started my oldest boy on meat at 9 months and he didn't have any reactions to it. 

Sorry, I should have clarified- he refuses a bottle and formula (& always has) but he breastfeeds regularly.  I was just looking for more options since I am back at wk 2 days/wk.  Thanks!
amybuddy45
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 12:42 PM
I usually started my boys at around 9 months but I still did one at a time because of allergies.  What does your doc think about no formula or breast milk on a regular basis?  I never had to deal with that, my boys stopped the bottle at about 9 months but they used there sippy cups for formula/breast milk. 
JacksMom619
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Quoting amybuddy45:

I usually started my boys at around 9 months but I still did one at a time because of allergies.  What does your doc think about no formula or breast milk on a regular basis?  I never had to deal with that, my boys stopped the bottle at about 9 months but they used there sippy cups for formula/breast milk. 
Sorry, I was unclear- he breastfeeds regularly- just not on Thursday/Friday while I work- but I just started back last week & my boss is letting me leave at lunch to feed him, so it hasn't been an issue.
25beengoodtome
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 12:54 PM

my two sons started eating yogurt as one of their first foods. meat, waited for the ped. to suggest. I think it was about 7 or 8 months CAUTION! those stinky diapers will knock you out!! I'm glad you're waiting and checking with other moms, sounds like you've got the sense to be a GREAT mom! have a fun life !

JacksMom619
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Quoting 25beengoodtome:

my two sons started eating yogurt as one of their first foods. meat, waited for the ped. to suggest. I think it was about 7 or 8 months CAUTION! those stinky diapers will knock you out!! I'm glad you're waiting and checking with other moms, sounds like you've got the sense to be a GREAT mom! have a fun life !

Thanks, Sometimes I think I'm a little neurotic/paranoid!  :)
Lisabrenner
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 1:06 PM
i started  yogurt at almost 10 months and the dr. said meat at 9 mo.  i bought one jar of the meat and he wouldn't eat it.  after looking at it and smelling it, I don't blame him.  It's gross.  If I want him to eat meat, I make turkey, chicken, burgers, turkey burgers, etc and just cut it in small pieces so he can gum it.  It's much healthier and it gets him used to real food!
Good luck!

jenjen81605
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 1:29 PM
When I started him on veggies I made a deal with my doctor- once he's able to walk without holding onto anything, he's old enough to eat meat and try some other, more "grown up" food. Well, by about 7 1/2 months old, my son was eatin the Gerber roast beef dinner stuff- he loved it.
I'm not saying you should start feeding to to your son just yet- but try to give yourself and idea of when. Like, say "when he starts talking I'll try it, with the approval of his doctor". Give yourself an important milestone like that, and make sure your sons doctor agrees. Plus, you can always just ask your doctor now.
I think it's very much up to you- when you feel that your little boy's ready, go ahead and try. Worst thing that'll happen is he'll spit up chicken on you.
Good luck, honey!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)