Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am so behind the times :/

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 8:42 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

We are in the middle of a bad snowstorm/ blizzard, not knowing how long power will be on.  The weather people said if you lose power you can follow the latest developments on our website.

My reaction was - uh, yeahhh, right, no power scoff scoff. Then I realized that people with smart phones can still get online, right?

I have GOT to get one of those, when I can get out my driveway again. :(

by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm still hoping you won't lose power!!  I know you are too.  As for the smart phone I do have one but I don't know how to do even 1/4 of what all it will do.  lol  Stay safe and warm!! 

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. :)

The power flickered but is still on.

I am impressed when someone pulls out their smartphone to check something that we've been discussing- such as where have we seen that actor before.  LOL!

Quoting louannwilkins:

I'm still hoping you won't lose power!!  I know you are too.  As for the smart phone I do have one but I don't know how to do even 1/4 of what all it will do.  lol  Stay safe and warm!! 

louannwilkins
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I am a little challenged when it comes to technology so I'm impressed that I can do anything with this phone!!  LOL  I wanted a droid because I liked the size and things I'd heard about the camera etc.. I ended up with an iphone though because the guy at verizon told me for someone like me the iphone was easier to get the hang of. He also told me if I didnt' like it after a day or two to come back with it and change it.  I like it ok.  Like I said I'm not that good with it.  I may get a droid next time.  It's actually time to upgrade and they keep sending me texts and emails about it but I'm not wanting to do that just yet.  lol 

Quoting Bmat:

I am impressed when someone pulls out their smartphone to check something that we've been discussing- such as where have we seen that actor before.  LOL!

Quoting louannwilkins:

mamasunshine200
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
It resolves all the "what was that....." what's his/her name?!!" Lol
sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, if your smart phone is 4g, it will access the internet.  And if it is a mobile hotspot, it can transmit to your laptop.  But, just like your home computer, it only runs as long as it has a charge.  No power, no recharge, no phone.  Of course, you can go charge it in your car, with the garage door open, untill you run out of gas.

Better idea all around to have a natural gas, whole house power backup.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 23, 2016 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL!  I need the kiddie version, I think. Although children are probably better at electronics than I am.

Quoting louannwilkins:

I am a little challenged when it comes to technology so I'm impressed that I can do anything with this phone!!  LOL  I wanted a droid because I liked the size and things I'd heard about the camera etc.. I ended up with an iphone though because the guy at verizon told me for someone like me the iphone was easier to get the hang of. He also told me if I didnt' like it after a day or two to come back with it and change it.  I like it ok.  Like I said I'm not that good with it.  I may get a droid next time.  It's actually time to upgrade and they keep sending me texts and emails about it but I'm not wanting to do that just yet.  lol 

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting louannwilkins:

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 23, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Our friends about 5 minutes from here have natural gas and a whole house power back up. What a convenience! We don't have  natural gas here, so we have to drag the gas fired generator out, put gas in it, and we only have a few things powered even then. Heat in one room,  the refrigerator, the water pump.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Yes, if your smart phone is 4g, it will access the internet.  And if it is a mobile hotspot, it can transmit to your laptop.  But, just like your home computer, it only runs as long as it has a charge.  No power, no recharge, no phone.  Of course, you can go charge it in your car, with the garage door open, untill you run out of gas.

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

We had a ice storm last month and lost power for a couple of days. My husband made a charger thing from a car battery. Has a power supply on it. We were able to charge our phones and plug up our wireless internet to for a little bit at a time and use our laptops to play MineCraft or surf the net. We used our gas generator out back to charge it when we were not using it. I hate using my phone for the internet. Him and his genius ideas.,lol He has always been that way. Coming up with stuff to make. 

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 23, 2016 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Smart phones are awesome!
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:39 PM

I forgot to thank you for the info on smart phones. I do appreciate it. It is information that I need. :)

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)