Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help first experience with head lice!

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:58 PM
  • 19 Replies
First time with head lice in the house! I treated my daughter that was sent home and keeping an eye open for the rest of us. Wanting to hear your success stories! How you concord these little pests! I have been hearing from friends about coating head with coconut oil for a night to help prevent and condition. Anyone try this? We are 3 days into this roller-coaster!
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Mariah on Jan. 24, 2016 at 4:42 AM
Olive oil worked for me. Douse the heads and wrap a plastic bag or shower cap around their heads and let sit for an hour or two. You don't have to do it overnight, that could get to be a real mess.
Makes combing the bugs and nits out SO much easier. Then wash and blow dry hair.
Good luck, lice are such a pain, I hope they go away soon for you.
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2016 at 9:03 AM

I was SO lucky and never had that to deal with.  I hope you get some good answers and help.  I worry about it all the time with my granddaughter.  She has really long thick hair and there was an outbreak at her school recently.  Good luck!!  :)

by on Jan. 24, 2016 at 9:18 AM
Tea tree oil few drops in your conditioner or shampoo prevents them from even trying I put some in my daughters detailing spray. No fuss no lice
by on Jan. 24, 2016 at 9:35 AM
My oldest had the very start. We caught it early. I went out and bought a kit and an electric comb.
Used the shampoo and the combing gel, sprayed all carpets pillows, mattresses extra. Washed all bedding, coats hats laundry on hot water and high heat.

Then took a spray bottle and filled it with water and tea tree oil and sprayed everyone's hair 2x a day. (We have a family of 8 so I wasn't going to mess around.). I also buzz cut all the boys hair. Thankfully since we caught it early my oldest was he only one who got them.
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2016 at 9:53 AM
Pick the nits out. I only had good luck with Rid and sat night after night to pick out nits. I also washed sheets every day and took dd's pillow away. I retreated at day 10.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2016 at 5:27 PM

I've heard coconut oil and tea tree (melaluca) oil.   I haven't had occassion to use them for head lice since having access to them myself.

I used the lice shampoo (store brand works just as well as the name brand, so no need to spend the extra money) and then I used a flat iron to kill all the nit on my DD's hair (very long at the time) and then I picked through her hair w/ a fine tooth comb and removed every single bug/nit from her scalp/hair by hand (or tweezers as needed; popping the nits w/ tweezers is easier than actually removing them from the hair shaft).  The shampoo doesn't kill all of the bugs, but it slows them down enough to be able to get rid fo them.

We also sprayed everything and either put it in the dryer on high heat or in an air-tight plastic bag for (I've forgotten how long) a while.  I sprayed the carpets one day before we left the house (just in the rooms where the infested person spends a lot of time (bedrooms, living room, etc)

by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2016 at 5:33 PM

I had to deal with it a lot when my oldest was in kindergarten and seeing her dad still (he hasn't seen her in over 2 years now) I ended up using the face cleanser Cetaphil, let it sit for quite awhile and rinse out. Get the lice spray, spray down carpets, pillows, furniture etc. Bag up stuffed animals and put outside or if you can, run them through the dryer. Make sure everything that can be washed, is washed if it has been around the house, or worn recently and not washed yet. Coats, hats, head bands, etc. These things were all that made them stay away. The day that I sprayed everything down with flea spray (and i may have over done it) I sprayed then opened windows and left the house for awhile so we didn't breathe it in. We went to the park with the dog. 

by on Jan. 25, 2016 at 6:26 PM
Mayonnaise. Coat the hair and cover. You need to buy the spray for furniture, and wash everything on hot water
by Member on Jan. 25, 2016 at 6:28 PM
Robicomb, tea tree oil, and lavender. Bag everything soft up (teddy bears, baby dolls etc,) in trash bags for a week, and treat and check once a week for about a month. It's a lot of work, we just got rid of them last month. It took about a month or so with vigilance
by Member on Jan. 25, 2016 at 6:33 PM
Mayonnaise. Comb thru and wrap the head so it sits for 20-30min. Use vinegar to help rinse as it also unglued the nits. You still will need to comb but it will be less nits to pick out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)