Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

3rd grade math

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 10:19 AM
  • 3 Replies
Hi,
My name is Shirley and I would appreciate any fun, helpful tips, teach, or quick ways to help my 8yr old boy learn math. He needs to learn multiplication, division, and problem solving.

Shirl

by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jenjen81605
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 10:31 AM
When I was about that age my mom helped me learn by showing me. If the problem were something like 2+8=10 she'd bring out the cheerios and have me do the math. I had to see things to understand them- maybe you can try something similar with your son.
Another thing that always worked with me was counting on my fingers. I hate to admit it, but I still count on my fingers. I'm 18 and was an honor roll sudent all through high school- but i kept counting on my hands. hahha

Good luck!
ElJaMom
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 10:34 AM
I can soooo relate!  I have a third grader and their math is awful!!!  I found kids monopoly has helped with the money and adding and problem solving in a fun way.  We are doing the metric system now, and I hate it!!!!  Maybe if we put our minds together... we can figure something out!

Life after divorce (Group Owner),  Young Musicians just for fun (Group Owner) Boy/Girl Split (Group Owner), 1999 Kids (Group Owner), Food Allergies (Group Owner),

makeitlast4ever
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 10:40 AM
I was a math wiz when I was in school. math came to me easily. Is your son having a hard time with math? I use to tutor and I find the best way to help kids grasp mathematic concepts is to make the problems simple using real life problems.
For ex you can introduce multiplication by asking something like; If I have two dollars and all of the other family members have two dollars also(let's say there are 7 in your family), How much money do we have all together? (That's 7x2=14). A division problem could be;If i have $14 and there are 7 people i need to divide the money up between, How much money would everyone get?(14/7=2)
Anyway those are techniques I used with my boys and they all are proficient in mathematics.  (I have a 8th grader, a 7th grader and a 2nd grader)
I hope this helps some. If you need to ask anything else feel free to send me a message, I also know of some websites you can go to to get some tips. Like abcteach.com, there you can print out worksheets at home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)