Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you celebrate your kid's birthdays?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:24 PM
  • 24 Replies

How do you make that special day of your child's birth extra special? Do you have a ton of kids over with clowns and party favors? Do you have them invite only a few friends and head to the pool, batting cages, or skating rink? Or is it just a family affair?

My girls are still pretty young--just turned 6 and 4--so their parties consist of just family right now. We grill burgers, have cupcakes, and watch them tear open their presents. It's a lot of fun getting the whole family together and visiting with everyone that I'm kind of dreading the day my oldest will ask for a party with just her friends and no family. I'm thinking I got a few more years until that happens, though!

by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Inga on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:30 PM

We do large parties for their first birthdays.  Don't really know why but that is what our families have always done.

After that, it is just a special dinner (usually what they request from pizza to pancakes), cake, and presents.  When they got to be older elementary school, we also allowed a friend or two to spend the night.

auntangelofsix
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:29 PM
We do small Party's for our Boy's after there 1st year.
Manic_Sinner
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:32 PM
My oldest kids choose what they want to do or where they want to go. Two of my kids had March birthdays, my 7 year old had a sleepover this year and my 9 year old went to a place that has bowling, an arcade, laser tag, etc...their friends come, we usually have cake and pizza.
petramarie1
by Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this
With my kids, we do a family party, we've never had friends over, or had sleepovers.

For the birthdays, we let them choose what all there meals are going to be for that day.
JonesMama
by Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 12:46 AM
We have one DS, he's 11. We tend to overdo it. We had family parties until preschool. Then we had separate family and friend parties. A few times, dh and I took DS to an indoor water park for the weekend, too. We brought cupcakes to school on his birthday until they stopped allowing bday treats last year. Now we buy a game or book for the classroom instead. I let DS open a present then I take him out for breakfast on his bday. (Dh goes to work too early, we do the rest of the gifts when he gets home). For the last 4 years, I've gone to our favorite local sub shop and picked up lunch for us and I bring it to school and eat with him. (He asks me to). Dinner is his choice, this year he picked a hibachi place, and we brought his best friend. His birthday was 3/11 and he still hasn't picked a party place yet, so this year his friend party is late.

ETA...No clowns at our house. He's had parties at the farmpark, bounce places, bowling, swimming, laser tag...
MOM-RN
by on Mar. 31, 2016 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't throw parties. Their bday's are pretty close together so we do a family outing, usually the indoor waterpark.

On their actual bday they get to pick what we do all day, including dinner food.
Aoife_Of_2
by on Mar. 31, 2016 at 12:51 AM
My 8 yr old this year is wanting to go to the glow in the dark bouncy place and out to eat. That's all he asked for nothing else.. Plus a few presents.

My 11 yr old we are doing a over night stay at the aquarium and then a few presents. He told me,"Mom, this is the year *youngest name* can stay overnight,' while grinning.

Both my boys pick something that they both can be included in since they are like shadows.

Last year we planned a awesome Harry potter party for my oldest. Hand carved wands, made photo booths, made a snitch pinata by hand, the whole 9 yards. Invited all 18 kids in his class and all 22 in his brothers.

Not one person showed up, to make matters worse we had it at the park. There was another party going on across from us and it was mostly all the kids from my oldest sons class. He went over to say hi and he got snubbed. Yep he was in tears.

We ended up packing up and taking them to the amusement park. Sigh

This year as a secret my family and I (it's always been my boys and I as our little family since I have full parental rights) to St. Augustine. We have been planning for 8 months now making sure everything is organized, scheduled, and packing list is right. (Allergies both environmental and food.).

There will be my immediate family, my boys and I going. About 14 people in total. Lol

Making friends has always been hard for my boys between being in gifted and allergies they try. Neither have had a friend over or a sleep over. I try as do they but it's always a no go with the other parents. smh

I've taken them to Dollywood one year, Chattanooga Aquarium a different year, my parents took them to Illinois to Vist their aunt, just various places.
Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 7:30 AM

We go all out!  The girls are 8 and 11 now.  They get a group party event of their choice with in reason where they can invite up to 8 friends.  Then there is the family supper and cake cutting with adult family around here and close adult family friends.

Hoos456
by Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 7:51 AM
My son will be 9 in May. Most of his parties was just both sets of families, then down to just my family. He has only had 1 bday party with friends. When he was turning 6, we celebrated his last day of being 5 by going to the zoo and lunch..then had his family party on his bday. I'm hoping this yr to give him another friend party
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 31, 2016 at 8:13 AM

I've heard  if throwing a party, one child guest for each year of the birthday child. So age 4 would be 4 guests, if throwing a party for friends. We had mainly just family parties at the ages of your children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)