Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you found anything that helps a cat with arthritis?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:58 AM
  • 19 Replies

Our older cat has arthritis in her hips, and it is obviously uncomfortable for her. We've tried special food and a glucosamine pill that the vet recommended, but they made her throw up. Now we are trying another vet recommended med that is to be spread over her food, but she eats around it, and I'm not sure how much of the med she is getting.  Have you had any luck helping an arthritic cat feel better?

This is an old picture. She can't tuckher hind legs in anymore and lies down with the hind legs stuck straight out.

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BmoreRavens
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Beautiful kitty!! 

I'd give this a try if any of my cats had arthritis. 

Concentrated Liquid Natural Glucosamine Chondroitin for Cats - Pet Bone & Joint Supplement for Your Cat - Relieves Arthritic Joint Pain, Strengthens Bones and Prevents Further Damage to Cartilage

• Contains naturally-derived MSM - An anti-inflammatory that provides arthritis pain relief for cats. Fast absorbing formula
  • Glucosamine liquid supplement builds good body tissue, strong cartilage & prevents further damage
  • Contains Magnesium, Collagen-2 & Loquat for supplemental arthritis bone & joint pain relief
  • Glucosamine & Chondroitin for cats also provides hip dysplasia pain relief - Veterinarian-approved!
  • Comes in pre-measured spray-pump for accurate dosage - Liquid formula absorbs quickly in the body
5 Stars
on February 20, 2016
Verified Purchase

My cat hasn't been happier and peppier in a couple years. Our 12 year old male cat was noticeably slowing down. Even with steps added, he was having difficulty getting on our bed and just getting around. We started him on this supplement and within 3-5 days we saw an improvement. He's been on it over a week and we not only seeming him moving better, but he's obviously enjoying his life more. He's carrying around toys, chasing/hunting his toys and not just moving better but actually jumping, running and engaging both the other cat and the people in the home. I tasted the supplement and it tastes very mild. The cat didn't even notice and gobbled down his wet food with this added. Definitely a winner!!

Amazon
BmoreRavens
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Cat owners seem to really like this product! Here's another review on Amazon: on March 29, 2016

Our 17 year old kitty suffered from increasingly stiff joints, and he was slowing down more and more. We had already tried another product, but it was too loaded with additives that bothered his stomach. Pet-Plicity liquid glucosamine provides only the supplements needed. After using it for about 10 days, we have seen a big improvement in our cat's movements and activity level. We weren't expecting miracles, but this product really seems to have helped him. Will definitely continue using it.

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Put a half dose in her food.  Mix it well.  If she doesn't eat it, try a quarter dose.  Once you find the dose she'll eat it at, add a teeny tiny bit more with each meal until she's taking a whole dose.

This sort-of worked with DD6.  She tolerates the texture of gummies now, though, so I don't need to hide probiotic powder and vitamins in her milk anymore, lol.

PartyOfGirls
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

We had a long haired calico cat that we had to put down due to hers, she was also 23 years old at the time and could no longer be herself the pain when she walked was getting to much to watch :( Its been about 6 years since we put her down.

No meds were any help for ours and we just couldn't bare to keep her in so much pain.

I hope you find something that works for your cat.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Elk Antler Velvet.  This stuff is being sold for dogs, but you can give it to your cat too.  I've been taking it for my knee and I must say, it does help, a lot.  

It contains glucosamine naturally as well as other nutrients that support healthy joints.  

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Thank you.  She is a bit tempermental. It would be good to see her comfortable again. I'll take a look at the med to see if it is what the vet prescribed.

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Beautiful kitty!! 

I'd give this a try if any of my cats had arthritis. 

Concentrated Liquid Natural Glucosamine Chondroitin for Cats - Pet Bone & Joint Supplement for Your Cat - Relieves Arthritic Joint Pain, Strengthens Bones and Prevents Further Damage to Cartilage

• Contains naturally-derived MSM - An anti-inflammatory that provides arthritis pain relief for cats. Fast absorbing formula
  • Glucosamine liquid supplement builds good body tissue, strong cartilage & prevents further damage
  • Contains Magnesium, Collagen-2 & Loquat for supplemental arthritis bone & joint pain relief
  • Glucosamine & Chondroitin for cats also provides hip dysplasia pain relief - Veterinarian-approved!
  • Comes in pre-measured spray-pump for accurate dosage - Liquid formula absorbs quickly in the body
5 Stars
on February 20, 2016
Verified Purchase
My cat hasn't been happier and peppier in a couple years. Our 12 year old male cat was noticeably slowing down. Even with steps added, he was having difficulty getting on our bed and just getting around. We started him on this supplement and within 3-5 days we saw an improvement. He's been on it over a week and we not only seeming him moving better, but he's obviously enjoying his life more. He's carrying around toys, chasing/hunting his toys and not just moving better but actually jumping, running and engaging both the other cat and the people in the home. I tasted the supplement and it tastes very mild. The cat didn't even notice and gobbled down his wet food with this added. Definitely a winner!!
Amazon

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Thank you for going to so much trouble to look these up and post a picture. A problem we've had is that she has a delicate stomach. So I will need to start small no matter what we end up with. :)

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Cat owners seem to really like this product! Here's another review on Amazon: on March 29, 2016

Our 17 year old kitty suffered from increasingly stiff joints, and he was slowing down more and more. We had already tried another product, but it was too loaded with additives that bothered his stomach. Pet-Plicity liquid glucosamine provides only the supplements needed. After using it for about 10 days, we have seen a big improvement in our cat's movements and activity level. We weren't expecting miracles, but this product really seems to have helped him. Will definitely continue using it.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:18 PM

I like this idea! Thank you.

Quoting Rhodin:

Put a half dose in her food.  Mix it well.  If she doesn't eat it, try a quarter dose.  Once you find the dose she'll eat it at, add a teeny tiny bit more with each meal until she's taking a whole dose.

This sort-of worked with DD6.  She tolerates the texture of gummies now, though, so I don't need to hide probiotic powder and vitamins in her milk anymore, lol.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Wow! 23! How about that! Poor kitty, I am sorry she had to be put down.

Thank you.

Quoting PartyOfGirls:

We had a long haired calico cat that we had to put down due to hers, she was also 23 years old at the time and could no longer be herself the pain when she walked was getting to much to watch :( Its been about 6 years since we put her down.

No meds were any help for ours and we just couldn't bare to keep her in so much pain.

I hope you find something that works for your cat.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:20 PM

This is one I never heard of! I'll check it out, thank you.

I am glad to hear that it helps your knee.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Elk Antler Velvet.  This stuff is being sold for dogs, but you can give it to your cat too.  I've been taking it for my knee and I must say, it does help, a lot.  

It contains glucosamine naturally as well as other nutrients that support healthy joints.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)