Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I being too CHEAP and PETTY?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM
  • 38 Replies

Two weeks ago a male co-worker asked to borrow $10 bucks.  I didn't have cash on me so I gave him a Visa gift card that happen to have $10 bucks on it to him.  He said he would pay me back the next day.  Well it's been two weeks and nothing.  I even asked him if the card worked since it had my name on it.  Doing so, I thought it would have jogged his memory a bit.  

Would you ask for it back?  Is it even worth it?

It's only $10 bucks so no big deal but I don't like how he hasn't paid me back.

P.S.  He asked to borrow my phone charger the other day and I politely told him that the CVS right down the street has them for $5 bucks.

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:22 AM
I wouldn't even worry about it.
anotherandree
by Inga on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:23 AM
For $10, I wouldn't say anything and cut my losses. I would continue to do what you're doing and not lend him anything else.

Asking to borrow lots of things, to me, says he's either a mooch or he's hit a rough spot in life.
gina5808
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I would ask about it and not feel a bit upset.
SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:49 AM

No, you are absolutely not being chea and petty. he borrowed it, he should pay it back, don't give him any slack abouty, but be pleasant at every time you talk to him. People like this prey on the fact that you are being nice and don't want to be confrontational. I would say something like, "When you borrowed the $10, you said you would pay it back the next day, but it's been two weeks, so when are you going to pay it back?" If he says something vague like when I get paid, I would answer with something specific, like what day is that? Pin him down. He may act mad, people often do that in defence, so you'll say something snarky, and then he can tell people you got mad about it, like that gives him an excuse to not pay you back. Be pleasant. And if he still doesn't pay you, I would have no problem saying it again, this time in front of other people. And I would also quietly give a heads up to others. You could ask them if they've ever loaned him money and if they got it back. People like this are just users.

lucybrown1973
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Thanks guys---I think I am going to ask in a nice, polite way.  It bothers me whenever I see him and I don't want to feel that way.  So I will ask and see what he says.  He may be going thru a rough patch in his life but that doensn't give you the right to not pay back something.  

I would have appreciated if he was up front and said he didn't know when he could pay me back.

LyTe684
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM

I'd leave it alone. Lesson learned. Don't lend him money anymore.

chicken13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:23 PM

You have to work with him.  I'd leave it alone and take it as a lesson learned.  Never loan money.  

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Go to him today and say "Dude, it's been two weeks, where's my $10 bucks?"

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Quoting anotherandree: For $10, I wouldn't say anything and cut my losses. I would continue to do what you're doing and not lend him anything else. Asking to borrow lots of things, to me, says he's either a mooch or he's hit a rough spot in life.

THIS

virginiamama71
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM

I wouldn't ask for it back. And I would try to avoid him, eventually they stop asking. Someone at my job was like that, worked for me to ignore her unless it was work related. she found other people to borrow from, help her for everything and never pay back or offer anything to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)