• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BULLYING

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:36 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have a 5 year old and she is in Headstart. She used to love school, could not wait to get up and go. She would even cry if she was sick, had a snow day, or if it was the weekend because she wanted to go. In the last 2 months she has cried every morning not wanting to go to school. I asked her if everything was ok at school and if everyone was being nice to her and she told me everything was fine. She has even got to where she won't wear certain clothes of her because she says that someone will make fun of her. (this was an all of a sudden change as well) Wednesday she told me that a little girl in her class had hit her and when she told her to stop that she didn't like it the little girl told her that she would just do it again the following day to. My bestfriends little boy is in the same class as my daughter, so my bf messaged me the same night and told me that her son said he needed to call to talk to me when he got home. They ended up stopping by and he had told me the same thing that my daughter said except that he had told me that this was not the first time the girl had hit my dd. She had done it everyday this week. So I talked to my dd and asked if the other child had got into trouble for what she had done or said and she said that she told the teachers and the teachers and just told the girl that "That is hurtful, and we don't treat our friends that way". As a mother knowing my child was getting bullied and threatened was very heartbreaking for me. I do not want my child afraid of going to school or anywhere for that matter. I cried, I was furious, and I am not going to lie, I wanted to go pick that child up and bust her ass for doing that to my daughter. So the next day I talked to the teacher. I told her which child it was and she was aware of the incident, I told her that I do not tolerate my child bullying another child and I will not tolerate another child bullying mine. She told me that there was consequences and I asked if it was just the phrase my dd told me and she said yes, I told her that is not disipline for bullying. And that if it did not get taken care of inside the school and my child came home one more time and says she is having problems with this child that I will take care of it out side of the school with the parents. I told her my dd was not to be sitting next to this child and she was not to be around her. I think it is pathedic that the bullying has already started and they are just in headstart. I am one who has always told dd to not start anything but not take anything either but she will not take her part at school because she is afraid of getting in trouble with the teachers. She knows if she takes her part she will not get in trouble at home as long as she was not the one to start it no matter what punishment she gets in school. Has anyone else dealt with bullying at such a young age? How did you handle it?

UPDATE: My daughter came home Friday and said that the little girl came up to her and asked her to play and she told her no ( I had told her to stay away from her) The little girl told her "You promised you would always be my friend" after that my daughter told her "I did promise that, but I am not going to be your friend if you keep hitting me. Friends don't do that to their friends." The little girl told her that she couldn't break a promise so my daughter then tells her that she can break a promise if she was getting bullied. The little girl did apologize to her for hitting her and my daughter said that she forgave her. But I will not be letting my guard down and I will continue to keep up with everything and question my dd about her. I am hoping that it is resolved for us. But like I said not letting my guard down.

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

You have a meeting with the principal and teacher and tell them both that they had better put an end to the bullying or you will go to the school superintendant and hire a lawyer if necessary.  Remind the principal that s/he is required by federal law to provide a hostile free environment for all children and if s/he does not do so, then s/he is violating federal law.  

SuthernMomma11
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:26 PM

I am seriously considering home schooling for next year. I do not want my child to be bullied. 

Flurffy
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Excellent answer provided above.

Is she in any extracurriculars? Maybe a sport or something in the community? It could help boost or restore her confidence a little. It has to be tough to deal with stuff like that being such a little thing.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:58 PM

If the situation doesn't improve, then you need to go to the principal or director of the school and let them know that this is not working. If just telling the child that this is hurtful and we don't treat our friends that way, isn't working, then sterner consequences have to be in place. Did they talk to the bully's parents? I think I would ask to have a conference at the school with the other parents so they understand what is happening as well.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Apr. 10, 2016 at 6:23 PM
This. They have a responsibility to stop the behavior.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

You have a meeting with the principal and teacher and tell them both that they had better put an end to the bullying or you will go to the school superintendant and hire a lawyer if necessary.  Remind the principal that s/he is required by federal law to provide a hostile free environment for all children and if s/he does not do so, then s/he is violating federal law.  

ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2016 at 7:16 PM

We homeschool and I LOVE it! It's beyond wonderful, we have several HUGE homeschool groups and the kids are much more well behaved for the most part because mom is always there and it's just so different.  Homeschooling is so easy because there are so many great programs out there.

egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2016 at 8:23 PM
We went through a very similar situation with my oldest. He was bullied, afraid to fight back because he didn't want to get into trouble, the school did nothing. He didn't tell us for a long time. It got really bad. My son went from loving school to depressed and saying he might jump off the roof if the main bully was in his class again. We thought the next year, when he had a new class, would be better. It wasn't because he was so worried about being bullied again. That's all school became for him. We homeschool now and he's a much happier child.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 10, 2016 at 8:25 PM

Just so sad but yes I agree with this ..

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

mamamedic69
by on Apr. 10, 2016 at 9:03 PM

I would bring this all the way up to the superintendant to get it resolved.

I homeschool and love it. My older 3 were homeschooled in middle school and high school. One of the reasons was because of bullying.

My youngest has never set foot in a brick and mortar school.

timon95
by on Apr. 10, 2016 at 9:59 PM
We homeschool, so we do not have to worry about bullying at school. So far they have not been bullied at their extracurricular activities. I would take it to the principal or whoever owns the headstart. It's sad that school are supposed to be zero tolerance for bullying, but it seems as if the bully is protected more than the victim. Everything has to be politically correct. I know someone who's son was bullied and they made her son out to be a liar. Instead of helping him the school sided more with the bully. Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)