Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is baby wants to eat or preparing to wean at 9 months?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:36 PM
  • 35 Replies

My 9 month old son has been making chewing motions with his mouth since 7 months. My grand daughter gave him a piece of his food thinking he can eat regular food like her but he's not allow solid food unless its baby food. I buy store bought baby food.

My DH has given DS baby food and hes had alot of growth spurts lately just wanting to eat 24/7. I breast feed so is he self weaning or what? he wants to put my food in his mouth and chew it. he's teeth is starting to come in so he can't chew despite what he believes.

Edit I think I am anemic since I have been in the past so my milk supply seems low. And I give some baby food since I figured he would like that since he hates formula so much and rather go hungry and cry. I'm taking iron pills now.

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Flurffy
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Babies can mash food really well with their gums. We never did pureed foods but offered a wide variety of appropriately sized, soft textured foods once our kids could sit up on their own and use a pincer grip.
PartyOfGirls
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:40 PM

My kids ate table foods at 4-5 months old and my now 4 yr old didn't have teeth till 13 months old and just had 1 top tooth, babies do not need teeth to chew and babies also do not need to eat pureed foods either just soft chewable healthy foods is fine. I have never fed mine any kind of pureed foods unless it was like apple sauce and yougurts smoothies etc.....

Angelslight23
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:49 PM

He can sit up on his own and crawl. I'm not sure if hes trying to self wean and want to still breast feed. Hes growing too fast.

Quoting Flurffy: Babies can mash food really well with their gums. We never did pureed foods but offered a wide variety of appropriately sized, soft textured foods once our kids could sit up on their own and use a pincer grip.

Flurffy
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:52 PM
Most babies don't self wean at his age. Adding foods to his diet doesn't mean he will wean. Being so young, actual food eating is more about learning how to pick up and maneuver things with his hands and mouth and experiencing new flavors and textures. You can speak to your pediatrician about the most current guidelines for allergies and whatnot.

Quoting Angelslight23:

He can sit up on his own and crawl. I'm not sure if hes trying to self wean and want to still breast feed. Hes growing too fast.

Quoting Flurffy: Babies can mash food really well with their gums. We never did pureed foods but offered a wide variety of appropriately sized, soft textured foods once our kids could sit up on their own and use a pincer grip.

WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Babies don't need teeth to eat solid food. We ultimately did baby lead weaning so around six months, my daughter ate whatever I cooked for the family. I just everything up into pea sized pieces and let my daughter feed herself. 
Breast milk and formula is still his main source of nutrition until he is at least one. He should be nursing or having regular bottles before any solids are offered.  

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
We do baby led weaning. Our babies eat what eat. We skip baby food. Nurse before any solids. Babies don't wean under a year.
MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:57 PM
Drop the baby food. It is not necessary and not really nutritious. At nine months, breastmilk should be his main and major source of calories, not solids. Take a week or two and go back to just nursing--you need to bring your supply back up. After that, you may offer solids once or twice a day ONLY AFTER A FULL NURSING SESSION. If he can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, he can try small pieces of whatever you're having only after a full nursing session. Please come join us in the Breastfeeding Moms group.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

EarlGrayHot
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Do what your pediatrician says.  He will know.  We started adding in cereal when he suggested and when my husband was feeding ehr a bottle and she was just fine. When I returned to work I fed her morning and evening and he gave her bottles during the day when he added a bit of cereal in (only after our doctor gave us the ok) and she lived through it.  Cereal will not hurt your baby. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 12:49 PM

I agree with this :)

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

Do what your pediatrician says.  He will know.  We started adding in cereal when he suggested and when my husband was feeding ehr a bottle and she was just fine. When I returned to work I fed her morning and evening and he gave her bottles during the day when he added a bit of cereal in (only after our doctor gave us the ok) and she lived through it.  Cereal will not hurt your baby. 

sanj1213
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM
Dd does that chewing motion also, I don't think your baby is self weaning.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)