Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is 2 1/2 too young?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:48 PM
  • 21 Replies

My in-laws want to come get my 2 year old and take him back to Massachussetts where they live (we live in Mississippi) for 2 weeks.  I kind of feel like that is too long to be away from his mom at that young of an age.  They want to see him but my FIL can't take 2 weeks off (my MIL doesn't work, so she'd be home with him) and my husband can't take time off either.  The longest he's been away from me was 6 weeks when I was in the military and it took him a whole day to talk to me when I got back.  Is 2 weeks too long for a 2 year old to go visit family?  I really think it is, DH says it's not.  Thoughts? 

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous052386
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:53 PM

BUMP!

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Too long if it was my baby.

PartyOfGirls
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Not IMO...but you know your own child.

anotherandree
by Inga on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:00 PM
If you trust your in laws, I don't think so. He'll have a ball.
illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Yes, it is too young.

Too bad that vacations can't be coordinated, but there are other ways to "see" your grandchildren besides tearing them away from their parents. Think how scared your child would be, going away from his parents, with people he barely recognizes, and being in a strange place and nothing familiar? No mommy, no daddy, and two people that keep trying to hug him and tell him what to do. His communication skills are nowhere near developed enough to tell you, let alone them, if something is wrong.

And, what if he gets sick? Or hurt? Will your health insurance cover medical services in another state? Are you able (and willing) to sign the power of attorney for them? Do you trust them to make the best decisions regarding his care?

Tell them no, Skype is going to be good enough for now, and you will just have to plan a vacation together in the future.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:26 PM

I think it's too long to be away from you with someone he really doesn't know. This is a very vulnerable age. Why not try skyping with them and let him get used to them first, and have them come visit, and see how he relates to them  before making a decision like this. Plus are they flying with him, or is it a car ride. Either one could be a problem at that age. I would say no for at least a year. My son was 4 when my mom, who had been with us for several long visits, asked to take him and his 12 yr old brother for a 2 week visit. Seemed like a good idea. But he got really homesick, and cried asking to come home every day. It was horrible for me as well.

Anonymous052386
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:32 PM

They are driving, and they have visited and we've been to their house before as well.  I'd say they've seen him more than 5 times, for at least a week at a time, since he's been born.  He knows them by sight.  But we were always with them with the exception of maybe an overnight.  

spacedementia
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:36 PM
My son is 2 and no way would I be ready to be away from him for that long, we haven't even done an overnight yet. It is ok to say no, he's your child and you know what is best.
cali_gurl
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:41 PM

No way I could do that. My son is 4 and only away from us parents a few nights at a time.

othermom
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:48 PM

I wouldn't be able to do it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)