Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Custody help!

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:52 PM
  • 23 Replies
My sons father has had nothing to do with him or I in almost 3 years. My worry as well as my family is that we live in Florida and their trying to pass a 50/50 law. I couldn't imagine that It could be that easy to just give every father 50/50. I understand in divorces where the child already knows the father. in a case like mine unwed and born out of wedlock...I hate to believe they could just take my son from me when I raised him for 3 years while his father had nothing to do with him and just give him to his dad half the month without truly bonding and having a close relationship. Even after 6 months step up process I don't think they'd be even close to spending that much time together. We only had visitation two weeks now But will be 3 hours a week and will be a 5 month step up process to where the eventually does every other weekend. How do I fight this and explain my reasoning. Has any other moms been through this? He didn't become interested until he was court ordered to pay child support.
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PartyOfGirls
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Every case will probably end up becoming unique once in the court room, well I would hope so anyways. Heres a bump hoping someone near you knows more! 

sahmlvnv
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:55 PM
Is bf on birth certificate? Does he pay cs?
Jennaleigh_87
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:58 PM
He started paying child support a couple months ago but is not on the birth certificate yet. I need to get it changed this week. I thought they automatically did it.

Quoting sahmlvnv: Is bf on birth certificate? Does he pay cs?
sahmlvnv
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:04 PM
To be put on birth certificate, bf has to sign an Acknowledgment of Paternity first.

Quoting Jennaleigh_87: He started paying child support a couple months ago but is not on the birth certificate yet. I need to get it changed this week. I thought they automatically did it.

Jennaleigh_87
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:07 PM
Oh yeah we've done all that with Child Support Enforcement and the court system. We're doing supervised visitation now. Started two weeks ago.

Quoting sahmlvnv: To be put on birth certificate, bf has to sign an Acknowledgment of Paternity first.

Quoting Jennaleigh_87: He started paying child support a couple months ago but is not on the birth certificate yet. I need to get it changed this week. I thought they automatically did it.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:38 PM

First, The 50/50  has not yet been passed in Florida, so you are going under the laws that are currently in effect. You need to get an attorney. They can explain the process to you. Also, he may lose interest. and stop going to the visitation. It's important to document everything. Good luck with this.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Thursday at 10:28 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this :)

Quoting SweetLuci:

First, The 50/50  has not yet been passed in Florida, so you are going under the laws that are currently in effect. You need to get an attorney. They can explain the process to you. Also, he may lose interest. and stop going to the visitation. It's important to document everything. Good luck with this.

sanj1213
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:23 PM
I agree with sweetluci
Jennaleigh_87
by Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:44 PM
I have an Attorney but I'm currently looking for a new one because my Attorney having known the last two years all I've been through as my Attorney doesn't want to fight when he strongly has wanted too all up until now but all of a sudden wants to give in to the absent father who met him 2 1/2 years later because he chose to be absent and not want to raise & or support him. I think my Attorney doesn't have the knowledge or bark to fight. That's how I feel and that's why he wants me to give in and throw the towel in

Quoting hugss:

Quoting SweetLuci:

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Thursday at 10:28 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Then yes find another attorney that wants to fight for you :)

Quoting Jennaleigh_87: I have an Attorney but I'm currently looking for a new one because my Attorney having known the last two years all I've been through as my Attorney doesn't want to fight when he strongly has wanted too all up until now but all of a sudden wants to give in to the absent father who met him 2 1/2 years later because he chose to be absent and not want to raise & or support him. I think my Attorney doesn't have the knowledge or bark to fight. That's how I feel and that's why he wants me to give in and throw the towel in
Quoting hugss:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)