Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying new foods

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:10 PM
  • 23 Replies
Does anyone have advice for getting my almost 4 yr old son to try new foods? All's he wants to eat is Cheerios & lovely hot dogs!!! It's drives me crazy!!! I make new dishes for him all the time but he won't even try them. I cut food into fun shapes, he doesn't care won't try them.... I'm desperate!!!
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't make it a battle. And, little steps.

He likes cheerios? Give him cheerios, with a banana sliced on top, or berries. Then, give him the cheerios with fruit, and a side of something else. Don't force him to "just taste it", don't force him to take three bites, just let it be there. Let him see it, smell it, learn what it is. Breakfast is actually a good time to try something new, because he'll be hungriest in the morning.

For dinner...well, make whatever you want to eat. Make sure there's a side of something that you know he'll eat. Don't force him, just let him see you eating whatever it is. He'll try it eventually. Just be patient. (He won't starve himself, if he's hungry enough he'll eat.)

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:28 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 12:33 PM

This sounds like a great idea ;)

Quoting illogicalkat:

Don't make it a battle. And, little steps.

He likes cheerios? Give him cheerios, with a banana sliced on top, or berries. Then, give him the cheerios with fruit, and a side of something else. Don't force him to "just taste it", don't force him to take three bites, just let it be there. Let him see it, smell it, learn what it is. Breakfast is actually a good time to try something new, because he'll be hungriest in the morning.

For dinner...well, make whatever you want to eat. Make sure there's a side of something that you know he'll eat. Don't force him, just let him see you eating whatever it is. He'll try it eventually. Just be patient. (He won't starve himself, if he's hungry enough he'll eat.)

sanj1213
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
This could be a little harsh, but it works and we do it. Ds is 5 and eats what what we put on his plate.
If he doesn't eat what's on his plate he doesn't eat. He will go to bed hungry. He won't starve to death I promise! He will however start to eat the foods that you make for him.
AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:40 PM

I'd do a few things...

Find foods that are similar to the foods he likes...  so if he likes hot dogs, maybe different kinds of sausages or different types of hot dogs would work for him (vege dogs, chicken, turkey... different seasonings) it would look familiar but have a different taste. 

Try different things with cheerios... put them in a yogurt parfait or on apple sauce

We try to get out kids to like new foods... but it's also a take it or leave it in our house.  We do not cave into their picky demands.... especially when I know there is nothing "gross" about the meal.  If they choose not to eat then they can just sit there until we are done... if they are disruptive they can sit in time out.  If it's breakfast or lunch their meal can be put in the fridge until later if they decide they are hungry.  There are absolutely no other snacks or treats if they don't eat a good portion of their meal. If they don't eat their dinner it's thrown away and they go to bed with a hungry tummy. 

They also to have to at least TRY a bite of the foods (unless I know they have tried it several times and they hate it) For example... if I serve chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans and they eat everything but the beans and refuse to even try it... then they still don't get a snack between meals.  They also aren't allowed to have seconds of anything.  Sometimes we leave favorites off the plate until they've tried the less familiar foods.

I'd probably get rid of the cheerios and hotdogs in the house now...   and don't buy them again until he has a more well rounded diet. 

LaniBee
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:48 PM
Just keep offering him a variety of foods. One of these days he'll decide he likes something new. :-)
delanna6two
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 2:22 PM

I tend to stick with what we like mostly but here are some help links...hope something works out...
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=getting%20toddler%20to%20try%20new%20foods 

timon95
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 2:46 PM
I agree with this

Quoting sanj1213: This could be a little harsh, but it works and we do it. Ds is 5 and eats what what we put on his plate.
If he doesn't eat what's on his plate he doesn't eat. He will go to bed hungry. He won't starve to death I promise! He will however start to eat the foods that you make for him.
goddess99
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM
I would just keep offering. Try to make it a game somehow so he at least takes 1 bite.
WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 3:20 PM

We don't make food a battle. I just keep offering and also make the same thing a variety of ways. Also if she sees me eating it, she always wants some. There are few foods, I have found that my daughter doesn't like and most are the same ones, I don't like. 

mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 4:39 PM
We always had a one bite rule. Our kids had to take one bite of everything to try it. I just wouldn't be fixing the hot dogs or the Cheerios either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)