Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone or their kids allergic to the sun?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:40 PM
  • 28 Replies
So for the past 6 years I have had a worsening sun allergy. Not even the sun, really, it's the UV rays. From April to about October every year my arms, hands, and chest are covered in an extremely itchy rash, which my doctor diagnosed 2 years ago as an allergy to the sun. I get so many bumps it looks like I have scales (GROSS) and it is absolutely horrid to be itching for months straight.

On to the question - anyone have anything that might help me relieve my itching? I can't use hydrocortisone because I am diabetic and it makes my numbers go out of whack, and the only other suggestion I've gotten other than slathering myself with calamine lotion for 7 months straight is to wear sunscreen...which doesn't help. I'm desperate, and absolutely dreading the summer...HELP!
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jewels.unicorn
by Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 9:13 AM

I don't have it as bad as you but I do get the rash in the beginning of the sun season every year for the past 10 years now. It was not something I grew up with, it's slowly developed. I asked my doctor about it too, and I was told I basically had a mild sun allergy. I was shocked.

For me, the more exposure I get to the sun, the more tolerant my skin gets and by the end of the season, the rash stops showing up. I have to do little 5-10 min spurts the first couple months, it's totally annoying because I feel trapped in the house and I crave the Vitamin D from the sun so bad.

I use sunscreen and wear long sleeve thin white shirts. That's my best solution so far.

I get the rash on my arms, my chest and face. It's not as intense as yours sounds, but it is itchy, oh so itchy.

I try to keep my skin moisturized with shea butter or cocoa butter lotions. Those seem to really soothe. That helps a bit.

Hope some other ladies have more advice, I feel mine was pretty basic.

((HUGS)) I can feel your pain.

chicken13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I think your best option is to invest in some protective clothing.  They make a ton of stuff now that is lightweight, wicking and UV protective.

Loki07
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 9:50 AM
sarna, its a lotion for itching. My son gets a bumpy rash starting mid spring till end of summer no one can tell me why. He takes allergy pills and it keeps it small but it still itches and that lotion is what helps most.
Kenre
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 9:54 AM
Monkey is. We just cover his body with a full swim suit and 50 SPF on what is still exposed. I keep my blinds drawn in most of the house just enough to let light in. He prefers to stay in anyway. He is already on benadryl every four hours and has a steroid creme for his milk allergy.

Can you use benadryl creme? We use that if he gets bit by a mosquito (he puffs up so bad he looks like he was attacked).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Ivy on Apr. 12, 2016 at 12:01 PM

I use Benadryl or the cream. It helps. I'm always forget until I get that first sunburn (like I did last week). This year, I'm definitely going to look for some of those light weight long sleeve shirts.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:36 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Aww sorry .. hopefully others can recommend something that will help :)

sanj1213
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:09 PM
Oh wow I didn't know anybody could be allergic to the sun, sorry :( I'm sure you wear tons of sunscreen, otherwise I don't know what could be of help.
LaniBee
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:42 PM
This sounds like a good idea.

Quoting chicken13:

I think your best option is to invest in some protective clothing.  They make a ton of stuff now that is lightweight, wicking and UV protective.

Yurixsi
by Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:53 PM
I used to use one called sarnasol is that it?

Quoting Loki07: sarna, its a lotion for itching. My son gets a bumpy rash starting mid spring till end of summer no one can tell me why. He takes allergy pills and it keeps it small but it still itches and that lotion is what helps most.
delanna6two
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 2:18 PM

Hope you find something that works out..  Here are some help links:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cream%20for%20sun%20allergies 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)