Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for how to get my 23 month old to stop biting

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:56 PM
  • 24 Replies
So my youngest daughter is 23 months old and lately she has a really nasty habit of biting people ,namely my 2.5yr old nephew who my parents babysit ,i've tried tapping her on the mouth when she does it ,biting her back ,etc but nothing is working and i'm at my wits end ,my sister is almost to the point of finding another sitter ,I don't want that to happen because it would break my parents hearts because they've been babysitting since he was an infant ,Does anyone have any other ideas on how to stop it?
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 2:42 AM

Biting back whenever he did it was the only thing that finally worked with my son. And separate them till he stops it.

Evelynsmama2012
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 5:58 AM
1 mom liked this
He's not allowed to bite back or defend himself in anyway ,because my sister has made it very clear that she disapproves of hitting or hurting for any reason

Quoting SweetLuci:

Biting back whenever he did it was the only thing that finally worked with my son. And separate them till he stops it.

momof3inct1967
by Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 6:10 AM
How's his language?
If he bites try just firmly saying "no bite" to him then pick up other child and immediately give them a huge treat- Popsicle or something really special. Completely ignore the biter except to make sure he's safe.
After a few minutes give him the opportunity to do something helpful like pick up toys. Then give praise but no treat.
Throughout the day give him chances to be good and do the right thing- hand him 2 of something and ask him to share with other child etc and give lots of attention.
Sometimes it's tough to remember to catch them being good and then they act out to get attention- good luck
momof3inct1967
by Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 6:11 AM
Sorry I said him- I meant her - it's early lol
cupcake_mom
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 6:29 AM
Then your mother needs to bite your child back. And then put them in time out. And then she needs to apologize to her cousin or whoever she bites. If you don't want to bite back the other 2 things might work. Make sure you praise her when she goes a whole day without biting.

Quoting Evelynsmama2012: He's not allowed to bite back or defend himself in anyway ,because my sister has made it very clear that she disapproves of hitting or hurting for any reason
Quoting SweetLuci:

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 7:20 AM

It is a normal stage.  You will have to be hyper vigilant about watching her every second to make sure you can stop it before it happens.  She will outgrow it typically when they start to develop some good speech and can verbalize their feelings vs. being frustrated and biting because they can't. 

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 10:22 AM

I didn't mean to teach another child to bite, I meant for the adult to bite the biter. Just enough so it hurts, so he realizes that it hurts. I tried everything else, and I hated the idea of doing this, but it worked.

Quoting Evelynsmama2012: He's not allowed to bite back or defend himself in anyway ,because my sister has made it very clear that she disapproves of hitting or hurting for any reason
Quoting SweetLuci:

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 21, 2016 at 10:25 AM
What happens right before she bites? I would not bite her. That teaches biting.
oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 11:13 AM
I bit my son back. Not to hard.
Evelynsmama2012
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 11:14 AM
I've done that ,it doesn't phase her

Quoting SweetLuci:

I didn't mean to teach another child to bite, I meant for the adult to bite the biter. Just enough so it hurts, so he realizes that it hurts. I tried everything else, and I hated the idea of doing this, but it worked.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)