Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Normal crying for newborn?

Posted by on May. 8, 2016 at 7:20 PM
  • 24 Replies
My LO is 2 weeks old and cries inconsolably for at least 1 or 2 hours (some times 3) before bedtime. He refuses to sleep anywhere except on our chests or sometimes in a rock n play. When he wakes up in the middle of the night for a feeding, he cries for at least 30 minutes before going back to sleep. What's considered normal crying? Should I be concerned?
by on May. 8, 2016 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 8, 2016 at 7:53 PM
Babies cry. I always just nursed at ever wiggle. If they cried, I nursed.
othermom
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Babies cry and some cry more than others. Is he eating enough, getting enough wet and dirty diapers?

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2016 at 8:14 PM

That's not normal.  Drs. call colic normal because so many babies are colicky.  But I don't think constant crying is normal.  Try to do what you can to adjust the environment for him.  There might be foods that you're eating that are causing distress.   He might have reflux that is causing pain and the crying.  Do you swaddle him?

oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2016 at 8:40 PM
He is use to being tight in the womb. So try and swaddle him tight and try laying him down.

When my mom brought me home from the hospital I didn't stop crying she had to call the neighbor across the street for help. Well the neighbor swaddled me it was 90 degrees outside.
JadeHope
by Member on May. 8, 2016 at 9:48 PM
Why are you letting him cry? Even people who advise for CIO say not at this age. If he's hungry, feed him. If he's crying, hug and snuggle him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaitTay
by New Member on May. 8, 2016 at 9:53 PM
He nurses for 20+ minutes (and often cluster feeds in evenings) and then still cries. Try to feed again within the hour but he is full.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Babies cry. I always just nursed at ever wiggle. If they cried, I nursed.
CaitTay
by New Member on May. 8, 2016 at 9:55 PM
Yes he nurses every 2-3 hours. Has about 7 wet and 6-8 poopy diapers per day.

Quoting othermom:

Babies cry and some cry more than others. Is he eating enough, getting enough wet and dirty diapers?

quirky_mama
by Member on May. 8, 2016 at 9:56 PM
My 2nd (of three babies) cried for about that stretch of time at night right before bed. I tried rocking, nursing, swaddling, you name it I tried it. It freak'n sucks! Some babies just need to get some energy or something out before bedtime or something. I would advise swaddling and keeping lights as dim as possible. Especially when he wakes in the middle of the night. Keep all the lights dim and don't even talk to him if possible, quite and relaxed, feed, change if necessary and right back to bed. It helps signal to the baby that this is night time. Swaddling is great because when you put them down it gives them the impression of mommy's embrace and they're less likely to wake up when you set them down. Hang in there! 2 weeks is still early and your both working on finding you rhythm.
CaitTay
by New Member on May. 8, 2016 at 9:57 PM
Yes I've wondered about the reflux. He refuses to lay flat on his back. He likes being swaddled but not enough to keep him from screaming crying at night.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

That's not normal.  Drs. call colic normal because so many babies are colicky.  But I don't think constant crying is normal.  Try to do what you can to adjust the environment for him.  There might be foods that you're eating that are causing distress.   He might have reflux that is causing pain and the crying.  Do you swaddle him?

flibbertygibbet
by Member on May. 8, 2016 at 10:00 PM
My second, and fourth had reflux. Try elevating one end of his crib so how head is higher than his feet. This could help.
I could tell you what I did, but what I did aren't "reccomended" by pediatrician's
Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)