Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too hot! A/C advice, please.

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2016 at 8:13 PM
  • 25 Replies
We live in what I believe is called a Cape Cod style house. It has two bed rooms downstairs and what used to be one room in the "attic", but has been renovated to be two rooms and a second bathroom. I grew up in a Ranch, so the two-floor thing is new to me.

The upstairs rooms have skylights in them, which face the sun, so I covered them. But when ever it gets above 75 outside, it's usually close to 80 in the upstairs and mid-70s downstairs, even though the A/C is set at 66. (MIL's doing; she hates being hot and seems to think it being lower will actually cool the house down) The A/C runs constantly, and even at night, it still only gets to the mid-70s upstairs.

Is this normal, or does our A/C suck? I swear the condenser outside is smaller than the one we had growing up, and I know it's smaller than the one at SO's grandma's house, and her house is smaller than this one. I'm not sure who had it put in; if it was a previous owner or the landlord after he bought it, but I keep telling MIL (it's her lease) that she needs to talk to him and have him get it checked out, because this can't be normal.

Any ideas?
by on Jun. 11, 2016 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joshsgirl12
by Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 8:32 PM
Try getting the room darking shades. They help keep the heat out and lower your energy bill.
mnmbaby
by Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 8:38 PM
The ones MIL put up are thick, but not room darkening. I keep them closed for the most part, and I do have some room darkening ones, I just haven't put them up yet. I will do that and see if it helps. But we can't stay in total darkness all the time, and I highly doubt MIL will want to change out her decorative curtain things downstairs for drapes. This house has so many windows, and the all let in the heat and then trap it. :p

Quoting joshsgirl12: Try getting the room darking shades. They help keep the heat out and lower your energy bill.
joshsgirl12
by Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 8:42 PM
I understand that, my mil has them all over her house. I would suggest putting the ac on 72 during the days and 68 at night that's what we do as well but you said your mil will change it.

Quoting mnmbaby: The ones MIL put up are thick, but not room darkening. I keep them closed for the most part, and I do have some room darkening ones, I just haven't put them up yet. I will do that and see if it helps. But we can't stay in total darkness all the time, and I highly doubt MIL will want to change out her decorative curtain things downstairs for drapes. This house has so many windows, and the all let in the heat and then trap it. :p

Quoting joshsgirl12: Try getting the room darking shades. They help keep the heat out and lower your energy bill.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 11, 2016 at 8:47 PM

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Heat rises, so upstairs are normally hotter than downstairs.

It's your SO's mother who has rented a house and you and SO are living with her? I imagine the electric bills are very high. Are you paying half? If she owned the house, or you owned the house, I would tell you to get the electric company to do an energy survey. They're free where I live, and very helpful. You might be able to have them do one for you as a renter, not sure, but it couldn't hurt to call. It sounds like the house has been altered. The air conditioner probably was for the original space. The landlord is under no obligation to do anything, unfortunately for you.

anotherandree
by Inga on Jun. 11, 2016 at 9:02 PM
Several thing could be going on. 1) like someone said, heat rises. 2) your close to the roof and without an attic to block it, you are getting the heat right from the roof. 3) your a/c unit might not be big enough for your house. 4) 66 is SUPER low especially for the heat of summer and the a/c just might not be about to do it.
anotherandree
by Inga on Jun. 11, 2016 at 9:04 PM
Btw, we live in Phoneix and keep our a/c at 80 degrees. I couldn't imagine living in a freezing house.
mnmbaby
by Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:57 PM
I'd actually wondered if being this close to the roof was part of the problem, too. And I'm honestly wondering if she thinks that setting it at 66 means that's the temp of the air coming out of the vents, but I'm not entirely sure.

When it is actually cool enough and outside that it does get to 66 in here, yes, it is freezing. And yet, I think she'd actually want in even lower if she could get it there.

Quoting anotherandree: Several thing could be going on. 1) like someone said, heat rises. 2) your close to the roof and without an attic to block it, you are getting the heat right from the roof. 3) your a/c unit might not be big enough for your house. 4) 66 is SUPER low especially for the heat of summer and the a/c just might not be about to do it.
mnmbaby
by Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 11:03 PM
Yes, I call her my MIL because it's easier, and she started calling me her daughter-in-law before I started, so it's just simpler. We are living with her and SO's younger sister. We are splitting the bills.

I wasn't sure if the landlord could or would actually be able to do anything, but I figured she could ask. I will look into that energy survey thing, though. The house has been altered, because the public records list it as a three bed/one bath as of its last sale date, which is when, I assume, the landlord bought it.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Heat rises, so upstairs are normally hotter than downstairs.

It's your SO's mother who has rented a house and you and SO are living with her? I imagine the electric bills are very high. Are you paying half? If she owned the house, or you owned the house, I would tell you to get the electric company to do an energy survey. They're free where I live, and very helpful. You might be able to have them do one for you as a renter, not sure, but it couldn't hurt to call. It sounds like the house has been altered. The air conditioner probably was for the original space. The landlord is under no obligation to do anything, unfortunately for you.

karene999
by Member on Jun. 13, 2016 at 9:19 AM

When the attic was renovated did they extend the AC properly into the attic spaces. 

Heat will rise so the attic area will always be warmer. Check and make sure you have enough insultation and proper ventilation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)