Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allowance?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:18 AM
  • 32 Replies

I have to admit that dh and I have never been very good about paying our girls an allowance for completing housework/chores. Typically we've had an arrangement where if there is something they are wanting to buy or save up for that we just pay for it and they work it off for a certain pre-determined and agreed upon time period. Usually this work is required prior to shopping, but there have been occassions when one or both of them has seen something that was a limited time offer/sale/etc and a deal has been cut on the spot with the work coming later. This has worked well in the past, but they're getting older now and I'd like to go a more traditional direction with having them earn an allowance that we will physically give to them each week/month. Then they can be responsible for physically saving up the cash. (Which they already do with other money they get for other things- be it from the tooth fairy, report card bonuses, birthday/holiday cash, etc.)

What I'm wondering is how much money do others typically pay their children for different chores? Our dds are 12 (less than a month away from 13) and 10 (just over two months til 11). Do you pay a flat amount for completing all their chores or a set amount per individualr chore (ie taking out the trash, washing dishes, etc)? And how often do you pay them an allowance- weekly, biweekly, monthly?

thank you

by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedmommie07
by Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are still young so we haven't started yet though I might think about starting real soon since they are 9 and 6, minus the 3 yr old. Growing up in middle and high school my mom had a point system with a spread sheet of chores I could do and each time I did one I would get 1 point or if I vacuumed a point for each room done. The minimum was 20 points starting at $2 then would increase by $2 for every 5 points (ex: 20 pts = $2, 25 pts = $4, 30 pts = $6, etc.) and I had from Sunday to SaturdaY to earn points before a clean slate started each week. I still really like that idea as it shows if they are willing to put in the effort then they can be rewarded. You could start it at any amount for 20 point but I think it's reasonable to increase only by $2 each 5 points. If they do chores daily it wouldn't be hard to make at least 20 points each week and if they want more money they can find more chores to do to earn points. 

wandep
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are ages 10 and 12 years old. They have a few chores that they help out with during the school year and get paid $3.50 a week.

During the summer if they help  me out with house cleaning they got extra screen time. That will change during the school year tho.

Princess_Thena
by Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this
We do a dollar for every year of age starting at 5, until 13. Then we bump it to 15 a week until 18.
Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

This is what we do.  My girls are 9 and 11, so they get $9 and $11 per week respectively.  For this, they need to keep their rooms clean and do one simple chore per week.  From here, there are opportunities dropped on them from time to time to earn extra money. 

Quoting Princess_Thena: We do a dollar for every year of age starting at 5, until 13. Then we bump it to 15 a week until 18.

hugss
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 9:09 AM

We gave us certain amounts/don't remember,
Also depended on the chores :)

mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 10:55 AM
I don't get paid for the work I do around the house and neither does my husband. In all reality we don't pay our kids for daily chores.
samscrazykids8
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:03 AM

I don't pay my kids to do chores around the house they live in. The only one that gets money from me is my 14yo and that is only because he doesn't live with me or his dad. He lives with his oldest brother and he has to provide for any extra's that he wants. His brother only provides shelter and food.

lenashark
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:19 AM
No. They have chores that they have to do, but they don't get paid for them.
dedhed
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:32 AM

My kids never got an allowance. If they needed money for certain activities I would pay. They had to do chores and keep room clean because that was their responsibility.

lulumomof2
by Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
My boys are now teenagers and they have chores (keep rooms clean, one son does trash the other does dishes) and pick up after themselves. Anything above that they get an allowance for. Of course like you mentioned somethings have to be paid for right away, so you bend the rules. My youngest goes to football camps in the summer, and this year we told him he had to help pay. We sat down added up the costs to the camps, the costs of traveling and hotels and gave him a certain dollar amount he to pay us. He worked some of it off for us and earned money by doing lawn mowing and yard work for my mil, my mom and my sister in law. He used some of that money to pay us back and some as spending money (for himself) on those trips.

I think having kids help pay for things helps them learn the value of hard work and of a dollar!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)