Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training a boy HELP!

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 9:40 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this
My friend's son started using the potty by himself. She was obviously stoked! Well she started trying to encourage him with it and he got really defiant: peeing in the closets, on the couch, bed, and generally having accidents. Now he won't use the bathroom at all and just pees.

She's tried taking him in every 30 min and that just made it worse. She's tried asking him and he throws a tantrum. She's tried having him help her clean it up. She's at a loss.

Are there any suggestions for helping her with this? Techniques? He changes his own clothes no problem so it's not an issue of access and like I said, he was going on his own for two days before she tried to tell him he was doing good and the bottom fell out of it.
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Potty training is no different regardless of gender #1. 

Kids are only able to control two things in their life what they will or won't swallow and peeing and pooping.  It is a control issue and honestly she needs to back off and put him back in diapers for a few weeks and then try again. 

This from potty training kids for 25yrs.  This is a battle that if she tries to force it she won't win. 

How old is this boy?

KnC-inc
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I think he's going on 4. She lives across the country from me and is at her wits end. I'll tell her about backing off it awhile. Thank you for the advice. :)
KnC-inc
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I think he's going on 4. She lives across the country from me and is at her wits end. I'll tell her about backing off it awhile. Thank you for the advice. :)
SissyAnn141
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2016 at 1:55 AM

I 100% agree.

Put him in pull ups and say nothing.

I would not even brag on him after this, just leave it.....

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Potty training is no different regardless of gender #1. 

Kids are only able to control two things in their life what they will or won't swallow and peeing and pooping.  It is a control issue and honestly she needs to back off and put him back in diapers for a few weeks and then try again. 

This from potty training kids for 25yrs.  This is a battle that if she tries to force it she won't win. 

How old is this boy?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)