Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cloth diapers or disposables?????

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:08 AM
  • 49 Replies
I'm starting research on cloth diapers, I'm due with my second child in January. I used disposables for my first child 8 years ago. I would like to know more about cloth because buying disposables over and over again does get expensive... Help! What are the pros and cons of both? Also if you prefer cloth, are there brands that are better than others? I know diaper service would be unavailable in my area because I live in a small town in Montana... Thank you in advanced ladies!! 😘
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yvonne37
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:23 AM

we used diapers, bought them in bulk at wholsale stores.  I know cloth are better on babies bottom and the environment, but it was way too much work for us.  hope you get answers :)

illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 12:42 PM
I've used both on my eldest, and only cloth on my youngest.
I prefer cloth because it's definitely cheaper and it's much better for baby's skin (especially if you've ever seen a reaction to a disposable diaper - many parents discover there are certain brands of disposables they just can't use).
Disposables are convenient, for sure, but expensive. Even buying them at Costco or doing a subscribe-and-save deal, they're expensive. Then there's the added laundry when you have poop blowouts (which I have never had with cloth, incidentally); no matter what diapers you choose, you still have extra laundry. Plus disposables are horrible for the environment, although many parents just don't care about that.

As for how much work cloth diapers are - it's an extra two loads of laundry per week, three loads a week during the newborn stage. You don't need special detergents (really, don't waste your money), you don't need crazy wash routines.
suomynona_amam
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 12:49 PM
I have used only disposables, only cloth and both at the same time at various points with three kids. When I had two in diapers I used disposables as back ups when I ran out of cloth and i had them stashed everywhere. It depends on what you want to use. We used flats and prefolds with covers when they were little then switched to one size pocket diapers. We washed them every other day or every three days depending on if it was one kid or two kids wearing them. Washing them was easy. I set them through a plain rinse cycle and a heavy wash cycle with an extra rinse at the end and hung the covers to dry and put the absorbent stuff in the dryer.
Our biggest issue was that dh wouldn't change cloth diapers when we were out. That wasn't really an issue though since I changed diapers when we were out together and he just used Huggies that I bought online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 1:34 PM
loved our thirsties fab fitteds!!!!
Apr1l
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 1:07 AM
I've only tried disposables.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 7, 2016 at 1:22 AM

We have been using cloth with our youngest since his meconium went away (we used disposables with our others).  While I know it is a "no-no" amoungst many cloth diaperers, we use "china cheapies," most of which we got from a website called www.aliexpress.com.  Most of them we got for $5 (average) and have had ZERO problems.  (I will admit that we bought a few for less than $3 and they didn't fit at all.)  We use (again, a no-no) the Gerber prefold diapers that you can buy at Target and WalMart.  They were perfect up until about a month ago (he's 15 months now) and now we have to use 2 because he pees ALOT.  No biggie.

The pros have been that he had NEVER had diaper rash!  We have managed to spend very little and have a big enough stash that we do diapers every other day.  He looks adorable.  The diapers we have will last from birth until potty training.  We only do ONE load of diapers every other day and our wash routine is NOT complicated.

The cons have been the learning curve of what we liked.  My husband still prefers pockets, but he accidently bought covers and I ended up LOVING them.  We only have 2 AOIs and hate them.  Laundry isn't a big deal except when you are having a super busy day and you HAVE to do laundry.  The biggest con has been friends and family telling us that cloth is "gross" and they "don't know how we do it."

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 2:34 AM

I did disposable with my first who is 8 and cloth with my 4 yr old. Youtube is where I got alot of my info where you can see it instead of someone telling you their stories and what to do. I became a stay at home mom when my youngest was born so it made sense to do the cloth since I was gonna be at home. It just depends on your lifestyle and baby. I did it to save a teeny bit of money and mainly to save waste. I prefer disposables but the cloth isnt hard. Once you get into a routine it becomes a normal part of life. Buy a few different brands and try them out on your baby and see what you like and prefer. My favorites were BumGenius & Diaper Safari pockets. But I did really like Flip diapers with the stay dry insert. Those and the bum genius were the best on her skin. We loved the china cheapies too. I got alot from Alvababy.com and even those apps Wish, Home & Mama have them that are arould $3 or less. They work and especially if you take care of them they willl last.  Coconut oil helps prevent rash and I used powder too. She liked that. Helped keep that dry feel cause that wetness is still there on their skin when the diaper is wet. I washed them every other day with any detergent. I used Tide original. No fabric softners. 

mischele
by Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 2:42 AM
We did disposables but I wish I would have clothed diapered.
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 4:55 AM
With two in diapers here, we cloth half the time. I liked using flour sack towels from target, and cheap china diapers from eBay and aliexpress
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 4:59 AM
When I took my hypnobirthing class my teacher told me that in the PNW (where I live) cloth is better. But in places like Arizona disposable is better. It comes down to amount of water used and cost of washing them. She told us a university did research and because Arizona is so try that disposables are cheaper because you don't wash them, versus PNW where water is a problem.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)