Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My son has weird obsessions! I need advice...

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 6:10 PM
  • 28 Replies
My son is almost 21 months old and has begin to pick up weird habits. I'm wondering if anyone else goes through this or should I be concerned. He has a thing where EVERYTHING has to be blue! Blue, blue, blue! It drives me NUTS! So he carries this blue plate, blue spoon, and blue lid around almost EVERYWHERE! And if he misplaces the spoon, he won't stop crying and freaks out! Then if anyone uses a blue plate, he cries until we give the plate to him (we have two that are identical to the one he carries around). He only likes to wear his blue Vans and not the black ones, or the Nikes. When we go the grocery store, he will only sit in the cart if the handle part you push is blue (Luckys is blue and Safeways are red). Am I tripping or this abnormal? I'm over here thinking, maybe this is a sign he has autism! HELP!
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Erinot
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 7:12 PM
I wish I could be more help but all I can say is talk to his Pediatrician and see what he thinks.  I know alot of kids have "favorites" of everything, so it could possibly be a phase.  Good Luck though!
scaredtofail
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 7:12 PM
When my son was little he was supper fussy about his style of clothing - and I mean from 2 years old.  He also always had to have colored things in a certain order (an order that I could not figure out).  It used to drive me crazy and I thought he was overreacting to something that I did not think was important.  Now knowing him at age 11 1/2, it makes more sense.  He is still very orderly , into his skater style of clothing and super intelligent.  Their personalities form from a very young age - your son has his reasons, just go along with it unless it becomes a behavior problem.
What you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?
MommyVilla
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 7:14 PM
Sorry, I have not had this issue with any of my kids yet.
$400.00 last month....

Meez 3D avatar avatars games

sexymamaof1
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 7:17 PM
Definatly bring your concerns to the Ped... It could be a sign of autism, or could just be a Type A personality developing.... Get answers from your doc as soon as possible.
Rubygl00m
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 7:18 PM

It can be a sign but it could also just be a phase. I would talk to your pedi if you are concerned.

MrsJenL
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 7:23 PM

was his room blue when he born? B/c maybe he fell in love with the color and now it's part of his normalcy. He may feel more comphy with that item or color. I wouldn't try to take it away... untill you ask the DR. Godd Luck!

Mrs. Jen L.
Jaydensmama510
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 7:28 PM

NO HIS ROOM WASN'T BLUE AND ISN'T NOW. HE JUST SEEMS TO FAVOR EVERYTHING BLUE.

lovemymichael
by Member on Jan. 17, 2008 at 7:29 PM
does he watch blue's clue's?  a few months ago my son was into blue's clues and he was interested in blue all the time.  he would point at EVERYthing and say it was blue.  now that i taught him green i think he forgets what blue is and now everything is green!  did he just learn what blue is?  becuase maybe he is just proud of himeself knowing what blue is and wants everything blue. 
mommy121087
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 7:32 PM
MY KIDS NEVER DID THIS. IT DOES SEEM A LITTLE STRANGE. MAYBE YOU SHOULD ASK HIS DOCTOR.
Jaydensmama510
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 7:38 PM
HE IS INTO YELLOW AND GREEN AT TIMES, AND DOES SAY OTHER COLORS, BUT IT ISN'T LIKE HOW HE IS WITH BLUE. HE DOESN'T HAVE A TEDDY OR ANYTHING THAT HE CARRIES AROUND LIKE SOME KIDS..HE JUST CARRIES THE BLUE PLATE AND BLUE SPOON AND LID ON OCCASSIONS. HE NEVER USED A PACIFIER SO HE DOESN'T CARRY ONE AROUND. SO I'M THINKING THIS IS LIKE HIS SECURITY BLANKET TYPE OF THING MAYBE? I'M REALLY CONCERNED!!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN