Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son has weird obsessions! I need advice...

My son is almost 21 months old and has begin to pick up weird habits. I'm wondering if anyone else goes through this or should I be concerned. He has a thing where EVERYTHING has to be blue! Blue, blue, blue! It drives me NUTS! So he carries this blue plate, blue spoon, and blue lid around almost EVERYWHERE! And if he misplaces the spoon, he won't stop crying and freaks out! Then if anyone uses a blue plate, he cries until we give the plate to him (we have two that are identical to the one he carries around). He only likes to wear his blue Vans and not the black ones, or the Nikes. When we go the grocery store, he will only sit in the cart if the handle part you push is blue (Luckys is blue and Safeways are red). Am I tripping or this abnormal? I'm over here thinking, maybe this is a sign he has autism! HELP!
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 6:10 PM
Replies (21-28):
MommyofAurelia
by on Jan. 18, 2008 at 12:54 PM
sorry, but I have to say I think that that is the cutest thing. my daughter is only 2 months, so i can't say that she's done anything like that. but, I my parents tell me stories about my child hood all the time. And I had a BLUE Collender that was with me night and day and it was my everything toy. it was my hat, it was my boat (though I'm sure it sank quite often!), it was just about everything. my mother told me they even tried to get me different colored ones, but I didn't want those, I wanted my blue one. so I don't think your son has a wierd obsession, but if you really are worried that he might have autism, then definately check with his pediatrician.
saralynsuzetteL
by on Jan. 19, 2008 at 11:42 AM
as a Mother,I would say it would be no shame,or harm to have your child checked out.The sooner the better.The younger children are found with disabilities,the sooner they can be worked with.Who knows it may be a phase,but professionals deal with problems, that we dont understand.I am a Mother who has a child with a disability cause by a Doctor putting him on the wrong medicine when he was a small child,it caused ADHD.So if you have your son checked out and they recommend medicine ask about the side effects.Because I didnt and the Doctor didnt tell me for a year,and by then it was too late.He waited to tell me the side effects till he got ready to take my son off the medicine,I dont want that to ever happen to another parent.Our children should never have to go through this.The Doctor should never be allowed to do that to another child.God knows how many times he got by with it.I was dealing with so much at that time in my life that I just assumed the Doctor could be trusted,and knew what he was doing.So ask questions,get second opinons,and its your child that  you have to protect ,when you decide to have him checked out.Good luck!Saralyn
Saralyn suzetteL
purposefulmom
by on Jan. 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM
Well is always safer r to call His doctor! but it's probly nothing my kids are always going threw stuff! i would not pay any mind to it but like i said to the doctors and make sure
25beengoodtome
by on Jan. 19, 2008 at 12:09 PM
 will he let you put any other colored item with the blues? Like   a red fork, on the blue plate, with a white butter knife. Or, dressing him in red, white & blue?
jenjen81605
by on Jan. 19, 2008 at 2:24 PM
I did that when I was young- scared the crap outta my mom, too.
 Turns out, I did it because I'm OCD. I didn't do it with the color blue, I did everything in 3's.  At that age, I didn't even understand the number system yet- but God forbid my mom only gave me two pillows, or  gave me four kisses, and no way was I going to eat unless I could have tree bites between every sip of juice.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much. Ask his Dr about the chance of autism, and then bring up the possibility of OCD. It's rare for children that age to show OCD signs, but I know I did. I'm very OCD, but I learned at a VERY young age to control it around others. When I'm alone in my room, sure, I'll flip the light switch three times and make sure my shoes are all in rows of three- but that's about it. I've learned that it's just an urge and nothing will actually go wrong if I don't turn my lock exactly three times. lol.

Good luck! Hopefully, with your son, it's just a phase. :D
cutiepie1987
by on Jan. 19, 2008 at 6:41 PM
SOUNS LIKE HE'S OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE MAYBE I WOULD CALL YOUR PED AND ASK ABOUT IT IT DEF SOUNDS LIKE WHAT I MENTIONED.LIKE PEOPLE OBESESSIVE COMPULSIVE HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHIGN A CERTAIN WAY AND IF THEY DON'T THEY GO CRASZY
robinann5
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 11:06 PM
My granddaughter just turned 3 this month. She is totally obsessed with the color purple. If something is purple she believes it belongs to her! I don't think just the one thing with the colors is a sign of anything. But trust your gut, you are the mother. If you feel something is wrong talk to the dr. Come to think of it my dd who is now 12 was obsessed with the color red....
cleanfreakmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 1:55 PM
Don't fret too much my little sister went thru a phase where everything couldn't be round! If it was round she would freak out and through a fit as well. She is now a normal, healthy teenager. So I don't think you have anything to worry about!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured