Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need red dye help

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:35 AM
  • 8 Replies
Hi. I know without doubt that when my daughter who is five consumes red candy, icing, drinks, etc. her behavior changes drastically. I am not the kind of person that thinks it's ok for my child throw tantrums and be a brat, but I do know the difference in the way she behaves after she has had artificial red.

Saying all of that, the people that babysit my daughter keep giving it to her. They gave it to her at school. They have told me I am using this as an excuse for my child's bad behavior. I AM NOT DOING THIS.

How can I prove to them that this stuff is bad?
I discipline my child according to her actions whether she has had the dye or not, but I have told them if they don't want to deal with some extra bad behavior then just don't feed her red stuff. They think I am lying. I don't know what to do.
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly I think you need to find sitters who will do what you tell them to.
Don't know if you're paying them, or what the deal is.
But if you don't want your kid to have something, they should be following your wishes.

Tell the school no more, as well and maybe provide a treat she can have, that doesn't have the dye in it.
Oolongmom
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:54 AM
And I used to be one of those people who did not believe that red dye affects behavior until it happened to me.

I have studied this quite a lot and I know that the artificial colors all have negative effects , but it seems that so much red dye is used to make things "red" that this one has the biggest effect for us.
I also know that some "reds" are made from crushed South American beetles, and that is disturbing also, so we just stick to fruit, veggies, nuts, etc, and if we do buy boxes stuff, we just make sure it's colored with fruit or vegetable juice, or not at all.
Oolongmom
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:03 AM
I did talk to the principal and my sitters yesterday, and they said they will not give it to her any more but they still think I'm crazy.

Quoting iamcafemom83: Honestly I think you need to find sitters who will do what you tell them to.
But if you don't want your kid to have something, they should be following your wishes.

Tell the school no more, as well and maybe provide a treat she can have, that doesn't have the dye in it.
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Google red dye and its affects on children's behavior. Read and then print the articles. Give to the people you want to read it.

TLC4theworld
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I know if I eat anything with red dye my throat and inner ears gets all itchy. Sometimes yellow dye will do this to me as well. I try to avoid buying both.
wandep
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:32 AM

This..also when you tell the school go straight to the principal. That way they know too and will tell the teachers. Good luck!

Quoting iamcafemom83: Honestly I think you need to find sitters who will do what you tell them to. Don't know if you're paying them, or what the deal is. But if you don't want your kid to have something, they should be following your wishes. Tell the school no more, as well and maybe provide a treat she can have, that doesn't have the dye in it.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Google and get information, print it out and give it to them. Also attach a note saying you do not want her given red dye. Ask the school to put it in her permanent folder. Anything written gets more attention than just the spoken word. They know they have been warned. It doesn't matter what they think of you. What matters is that they follow your instructions.

iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:58 PM
I hope they fully respect your wishes and don't give it to her.
That response would have me looking elsewhere.

Quoting Oolongmom: I did talk to the principal and my sitters yesterday, and they said they will not give it to her any more but they still think I'm crazy.

Quoting iamcafemom83: Honestly I think you need to find sitters who will do what you tell them to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)