Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much should I pay a friend to watch my kids?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:48 PM
  • 19 Replies
A friend of mine offered to babysit my kids occasionally for me. I've never had a babysitter before so I'm really not familiar with what to pay. She is 18 and in college, living in the dorms. I would pick her up, she lives 25 mins away and drive her here and then drive her home.
She lives the next city over. We live in the Midwest. In Wisconsin. I have 3 kids, ages 5, 2.5, and 4 months.
What would be good for 4 hours? Thanks!
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:53 PM

$10/hour.

reptilequeen
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Quoting virginiamama71:

$10/hour.

I agree

illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 12:00 AM

I would look at average rates for your area on sittercity or care.com, and deduct a little for transportation - since she isn't coming to you, and you aren't dropping the kids at her house.

I would not pay less than $10/hr, though. That's what I made as a college student, 15 years ago, babysitting one child (also in the Midwest). You have three children, and one of those is an infant. 

anotherandree
by Inga on Sep. 8, 2016 at 12:04 AM
2 moms liked this

We do $2.50 per kid per hour as a rule.  Most of our kids are older and can take care of themselves and really just need someone to be there so they don't burn the house down. :)

Caidysmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 6:43 AM
I would give her $50, for that particular time.
momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 9:50 AM
I would do $12 an hour
ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 9:59 AM
$12 to. $15
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Sep. 8, 2016 at 11:48 AM

I think 50 bucks would be great.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

WhatABeach
by Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 11:54 AM
$12-$15 an hour. 3 kids under 5. She deserves more then $10 an hour and definitely more then $2.50 a kid per hour.
mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 11:56 AM
It really all depends on where you live. What is the cost of living in your area? Call around and find out what the going babysitting rate is in your area.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)