Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE TELL ME THAT THE PRETEENS GET BETER~

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 9:24 PM
  • 12 Replies
No really. My son JOsh was an awesome kid. Straight 'A's' and all. But lately he's become this pisssy. argumentive. dare I say brat! i've set limits amd punishments, but then he cries adn makes me out to be the bad guy. He's 10and he knows that he gets 3 strikes and then loses his Playstation. But how do i control this? Any advice would be so helpful.
Janie
"Men are what their mothers make them."
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LandonAndLeila
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 9:31 PM
i probably don't have much room to speak as i am only 20 and have a soon to be one year old but i was thinking your son knows that when he is in trouble its like you said your son makes you to be the bad person so it sounds like it makes you crumble and give in? i may be wrong....but the only  thing that i could reasonably come up with is just be really firm and if you have to take away more than just the play station to let him know that you mean business and i cant say things are ultimately going to get better but at-least you don't have a girl i think you would be pulling your hair out and putting a pad lock on her door lol i admit i still some times work my mom up and i get her pretty heated i hope maybe this helped a little
GonnaBananas
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 9:43 PM

I'm in the same boat as you are...  My son was doing really good in school but now with 13 looming ahead he's trying to find himself, but he's only trying our patients to the fullest. 
Wish I could tell you it gets better, but it's not looking good.  LOL

tiggerabba
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 10:21 PM
don't him "guilt" you into giving in, and you have to be consistent(this is the hardest part for me).............mine are now 23, 17, and 15, their attitudes changed (for the better, lol) around 15............hang in there it will get better. I agree with the other post that said be glad you don't have a girl, lol, I have 2--UUUUGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Dixielady
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 10:25 PM
I wish I could say it gets better-but- my 13 y/o DD is testing every limit my DH and I have!! She has everything taken away when she pushes to much-her cell phone,her Ipod,the computer time,the house phone and any soccer practice or games. And when she' ready to act right little by little she gets it back. Usually we give her soccer back first because she needs to run get her frustrations out and exercise!! Good luck!
mommajade
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 10:29 PM
well ill say they get better... Im speaking as a sister to one of the brattiest 16 year old boys alive lol. Thing is its going ot have to get worse before it can get better. Im 19 and i still get at my mom and dad sometimes but at the same time the are most proud of me cause i worked hard to get out of the house at 18 and did day i turned 18 I was out of thier house. GL with your son and remember it will get better but first it will get worse
needtochat
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 10:43 PM
 DO NOT  give in --I have raised 4 boys and 2 girls all adults now with their own family -Im working on my second set of boys- Grandson 14 and 12----I once asked my adult children a couple yrs ago on a rare time they were all together -what I could of done better raising them -they all told me the same thing-----stuck to my discipline and not give in --now my 14 yr old is hating me and life right now -hes been grounded from everything Tv ,Phone, friends everything except reading since the week school let out for Christmas break--and he has til report cards come out next week -and he better not have anything thing below a C or he stays grounded til he gets it-- A counseler once told me "if your kids hate you ,then your doing your job-----I learned a long time ago--that is sooo true
bearfamily3
by on Jan. 18, 2008 at 4:18 PM
I've got a 10 year old boy too. Starting to hit that moody irritable stage.  I just remind myself that he still IS that wonderful boy; he's just now struggling to become more man than boy and needs my support and love even more.
brookmomto3
by on Jan. 18, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Quoting needtochat:

DO NOT  give in --I have raised 4 boys and 2 girls all adults now with their own family -Im working on my second set of boys- Grandson 14 and 12----I once asked my adult children a couple yrs ago on a rare time they were all together -what I could of done better raising them -they all told me the same thing-----stuck to my discipline and not give in --now my 14 yr old is hating me and life right now -hes been grounded from everything Tv ,Phone, friends everything except reading since the week school let out for Christmas break--and he has til report cards come out next week -and he better not have anything thing below a C or he stays grounded til he gets it-- A counseler once told me "if your kids hate you ,then your doing your job-----I learned a long time ago--that is sooo true
I'm filing this away for later use! Thanks!
sacdp29
by on Jan. 18, 2008 at 11:04 PM
  I'm sorry......I shouldn't laugh

I have 2 adult children that are 24 and 19
With both of them, middle school age was bad on them.  I think it is where they are trying to be "big" cause they aren't in elementary school anymore. They tend to smart off, talk back.....to see what they can get by with. 
Don't let him back you down from anything.
My son told me when he was 18, that I should have been tougher on him.....lol

Susan
lindamunchkin
by on Jan. 19, 2008 at 5:46 PM
 It will get beter.........In abour fifteen years.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured