Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin off from 10 Low-Cost Family Vacations - Houston/Galveston Area, Input Requested!

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM
  • 2 Replies

Okay, ladies!  It looks like my husband is going to get to go to a work training in Houston later this year.  He'll probably fly down on Thursday, and the company will pay for a hotel room at least through Friday night.  He's going to arrange his return flight for Sunday.

Our plan is to see what the company arrangements are, then use our airlinecredit to leave sometime Thursday, preferably after preschool, and return on Sunday as well.  We have miles from getting bumped last spring, so we have to fly one particular airline.  Either way, the entire flight will be covered, but the girls and I may have to fly separately, depending on what airline the company flies.  Either way, we will be there together for a few days.

What I want to know, is what we should do and see while we are there.  Probably no plans Thursday, because I am sure we will get in late, but Friday the girls I will be at loose ends while he is in class.  I am sure they will want to spend some time in the hotel pool, but that can always be done in the evenings.  

We were considering heading to Galveston just for the day on Saturday, and just keeping our rooms at the hotel in Houston, since we'll probably be leaving on Sunday anyway, and it will probably be easier to get to the airport from a hotel in Houston than from Galveston.  

So, what I am looking for, is something for the girls and I to do on Friday, places to go and see in Galveston on Saturday, and possibly a little for Houston on Sunday, depending what time we fly home.  I know it's not a long trip, but it's a fun family opportunity to go someplace new.

Also, what will the weather be like in December?  I am guessing it will be cooler than July, which is what time of year it was last time I was down there, but I don't know if it's cold like home, or still temperate?  Will everything be open, or are there things that are seasonal?  I am hoping there are some experts/residents of the area who can help me out here! :)

Here's the blurb from the previous vacation post:

"9. Bask at the Beach

Galveston, a historic Gulf of Mexico town on a barrier island 50 miles southeast of Houston, offers budget sun and fun along 32 miles of shoreline. Take the Bolivar Ferry — it’s free — for a 20-minute ride to see dolphins at play, or watch a taffy-making demonstration at La King’s Confectionery, replete with a 1920s soda fountain. Galveston Island State Park charges only a modest entrance fee; the ranger talks and kayak expeditions are gratis. You can pitch your own tent at the park or stay in one of its two cabins, which sleep up to eight people."

by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
wandep
by on Oct. 23, 2016 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds cool. I'd look online and start getting brochures sent to you in the mail. Maybe check out tripadisor and see what they recommend. I always do lots of research when we are planning a trip like that. I've never been to Texas tho so no help there. :(  Also, check pinterst....I got a lot of info on Tennessee when we went on vacation.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2016 at 9:06 AM

Thanks for the ideas!  Love Pinterest, and sometimes in your hand guidebooks are so helpful!  I have already been checking online, and there are a lot of neat Christmas things in Galveston at that time of year! :)

Quoting wandep:

Sounds cool. I'd look online and start getting brochures sent to you in the mail. Maybe check out tripadisor and see what they recommend. I always do lots of research when we are planning a trip like that. I've never been to Texas tho so no help there. :(  Also, check pinterst....I got a lot of info on Tennessee when we went on vacation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)