Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advice for 2 year old

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM
  • 21 Replies

I am a stay-at-home mom, and a caretaker for my mom's house.. I been feeling like a slob recently, I can't stand being in PJs all the time.. But whenever I get dressed, or even put on my slippers, my son throws a huge fit thinking that we are going somewhere- no matter how much I've told him we aren't going anywhere he just screams and cries, I feel like I can't even get dressed, or do my hair, or anything without him throwing his fit cause he thinks we are leaving.. Anyone got any advice how to stop this? or make it a little easier to handle? (Note: I can't take him anywhere cause I don't have a car, and can't take a walk cause of high car activity zone with not much of a yard, plus he is allergic to mosquito bites so playing outside is kind of miserable for him.) 

*-_ Proud Hemophiliac Mommy _-*

_-* Mommy Cabbyt *-_

by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell him what you are doing before you do it:

"Mommy is getting dressed now, so we can have breakfast at the table." (These don't have to be logical to adult minds.)

"I'm doing my hair so I can clean the kitchen."

Letting him know what you're doing beforehand, removes the question of what might happen. He'll know that you aren't going out, so now it isn't scary to see you getting ready for the day.

iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
2 year olds are so contrary! Mine has the same tendencies.

I say let the fit play out.

Let him fuss and then try to move on. "Do you want to play (insert activity here)"; "I'm going to put little Einsteins now, come watch". Etc etc
If he'd rather cry for a few, let him at it...you're at home, not bothering anyone...well besides your ears, of course😯

He will move on. Your getting dressed will be the new normal.
virginiamama71
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:45 PM
I would just ignore him.
Shower and dress right after you get out of bed.
Try to get out more for some fresh air.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Oct. 27, 2016 at 4:20 PM

I am always up before my kids. I get dressed then.  We get out a lot though.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:00 PM
Get us before him and get ready
Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Try to get up before him if you can. If he happens to get up when you do explain why you are getting dressed.

MommyCabbyt
by Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:52 PM
I would try and get up before him, but it's kind of hard, I have insomnia which makes it hard to get much sleep so I try to get as much as I can, plus my son has sleep problems as well he wakes up a lot during the night. So he ends up waking me in the morning. He goes to bed at 9, wakes up at 7, I can't really get to sleep until 2 if I'm lucky. I get up atleast twice with him in the night so I get about 3 hours if lucky.
virginiamama71
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:29 PM
How long has this been going on?
Glitch202
by Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, you can make it a habit of getting up and getting dressed every day.  If he throws a fit, he throws a fit.  Eventually he will realize that you are going to get up and get dressed.  Period.  If you tell him, "We need to get dressed so that we can go ------.", then he will know you are getting dressed to go somewhere.  It won't be pretty.  It won't be fun, but he will learn. 

BmoreRavens
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Your child ideally needs to get out of the house, and to socialize with other children close to his age. If that is not possible then he needs to have fun and interesting things to do throughout the day. Are you reading to him ... doing craft projects ... puzzles ... does he have educational TV and/or videos to watch? He sounds bored, and unhappy. 

I cannot imagine that mosquitoes are problem in the daytime, and you do not need a large yard to blow bubbles, or play bean bag toss, or to have a picnic. Where there is a will there is a way. You owe it to your child to, reasonably, meet his needs. You are not doing so if he is stuck in the house nearly every day without much to do. So, IF this is the case then work on making some changes as it will do you both a lot of good! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)