Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanksgiving dishes?

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 8:40 PM
  • 65 Replies
So what is your favorite thanksgiving dish to eat? And what is your favorite dish to take? If they are different.

this year we are traveling over an hour away for Thanksgiving, and I am looking for ideas for dishes that travel well.
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:04 PM

How far away are you traveling? If I am traveling more than an hour I make something that is cooked in the crockpot (glazed carrots) or I make a dessert (cookies or brownies). If it is less than an hour than I make sweet potatoe casserole with marshmallows.

AbbeysMom2013
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:45 PM
A little over an hour. I am going to do creamed corn, and something else (I haven't decided). I was going to do desserts (because that is easy to travel with), but someone else has that covered.

Quoting mamamedic69:

How far away are you traveling? If I am traveling more than an hour I make something that is cooked in the crockpot (glazed carrots) or I make a dessert (cookies or brownies). If it is less than an hour than I make sweet potatoe casserole with marshmallows.

mamamedic69
by on Nov. 2, 2016 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

What about an appetizer platter like chesse and crackers or veggies with a dip? Or maybe you could make rolls that would just need a few minutes in the oven to warm them up.

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: A little over an hour. I am going to do creamed corn, and something else (I haven't decided). I was going to do desserts (because that is easy to travel with), but someone else has that covered.
Quoting mamamedic69:

AbbeysMom2013
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2016 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Someone is already bringing cheese/crackers and rolls.

I was thinking maybe deviled eggs and roll ups ..... but it's seriously such a picky group

Quoting mamamedic69:

What about an appetizer platter like chesse and crackers or veggies with a dip? Or maybe you could make rolls that would just need a few minutes in the oven to warm them up.

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: A little over an hour. I am going to do creamed corn, and something else (I haven't decided). I was going to do desserts (because that is easy to travel with), but someone else has that covered.

Quoting mamamedic69:

illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2016 at 3:32 AM
If it's a picky crowd and dessert is taken care of, I'm bringing cranberry punch (made with cinnamon, cranberry juice, a splash of lemon juice, and ginger ale), possibly rum to add to the punch, and wine.
An hour is a long drive to make with a hot dish.
janessa27
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2016 at 5:37 AM

My mom makes the best sweet potato casserole! I take hashbrown casserole every year

goddess99
by on Nov. 3, 2016 at 7:09 AM
Maybe a cold pasta salad.
wandep
by on Nov. 3, 2016 at 7:17 AM

Well, I am fixing this year since I am gluten free and I want everything gluten free.

We're having...

Turkey and Ham

GF dressing

Mashed potatoes and GF gravy

Peas

Green beans

Corn bread

Maybe some crescent rolls for people who don't want corn bread

Homemade GF mac n cheese (I found a recipe to try out or I'll buy a box of Annie's GF mac n cheese)

Cranberry sauce

Pies..not sure what yet.

Fruit salad

I'm also thinking of a brown rice with mushrooms if I can find my aunt's recipe who passed away and nobody seemed to write it down. :(

louannwilkins
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2016 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

We're having turkey, dressing, collards, sweet potato casserole, homemade cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, corn bread and several desserts.

That's what we've planned on so far.  It could change.  As for you, I don't see why you couldn't still take a dessert if that's what you wanted to do.  Most people like having variety with desserts so the more the merrier!  lol  I hope you can figure it out.  :)

ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2016 at 8:05 AM
sweet potato casserole!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)