Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:45 AM
  • 22 Replies
Please don't make this post about Hillary and Trump.

How do you feel about the electorial college?

4 times in history the popular vote has differed from the Electoral College, twice in the 18 hundreds, in 2000 and now in 2016.

Do you feel the Electoral College is truly The Voice of the citizens of the United States?

What about the citizens who have no representation, the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, etc?
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:46 AM
I I have been saying for a long time, way before this election, that I did not think the Electoral College was fair.
SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:30 AM
3 moms liked this

I believe we should follow the constitution. I feel the electoral college makes the election fair. Because abolishing the current system will strongly tilt elections in favor of candidates who can win huge electoral margins in the country’s major metropolitan areas.

Some are calling for a “direct democracy” in which an 18-year-old voter in California and an 18-year-old voter in Oklahoma will not be ignored. But abolishing the Electoral College would mean ignoring every rural and small-state voter in our country. That includes you, since you live in a rural area in a low population state.  If you don’t believe it, just look at the electoral maps and the numbers.

If it was a popular vote, a candidate would only have to win  in just four cities — Chicago, Philadelphia, New York and Los Angeles.Imagine a andidacy free of the need to appeal to Ohio factory workers, Colorado cattlemen, Iowa hog farmers and Virginia police officers, and you start to get the picture.

bethanymommy
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:35 AM
3 moms liked this
The electoral college is absolutely fair. It is critically important to the longevity of our country. Democracy has been proven to fail and that is why our forefathers wrote the constitution - to protect us both from an overbearing government and from ourselves when (which is now) we would forget history and try to repeat it.
SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:38 AM

The problem with people in territories not being able to vote, again goes to the constitution. Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress...The key here is "States shall appoint."  While other politicians are elected by popular vote, the President and Vice President are elected by "Electors" appointed by the States. 

That is, US citizens living in states don't technically vote for the President either - they vote for the electors for their state who will vote for the President.

The Territories, not being states, can't appoint electors -- and therefore US citizens residing there can't vote in general elections for President.

I don't think we should mess with the constitution for this. It's worked well since 1787. It works better than any other country.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:42 AM

How is it not fair. Your vote wouldn't count if there was no electoral college because of where you live. How would that be fair?

Quoting mrswillie: I I have been saying for a long time, way before this election, that I did not think the Electoral College was fair.

mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:00 AM
Maybe getting rid of it is the wrong term it has to be revamped to move into this century.

I don't think it's fair because only the states have reprrsentation in the Electoral College. Shouldn't the people that live in the US Virgin Islands, Guam, etc have representation in the electorial college also? And my question is about your opinion, not about what the law says now. I understand it says that the states are represented. That's what I think needs to be changed.

Lastly, if we went solely by popular vote, every US citizens vote would count, including mine.

Quoting SweetLuci:

How is it not fair. Your vote wouldn't count if there was no electoral college because of where you live. How would that be fair?

Quoting mrswillie: I I have been saying for a long time, way before this election, that I did not think the Electoral College was fair.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

It can't be revamped legally without changing the constitution, Technically your vote would count, but it would be irrelavent. Only the most populated areas would be needed to elect a candidate, so to get those votes, candidates would only be concerned about issues that were important to those citizens. My opinion is that our system works well, I don't think people who live in low population areas should be ignored.

Quoting mrswillie: Maybe getting rid of it is the wrong term it has to be revamped to move into this century. I don't think it's fair because only the states have reprrsentation in the Electoral College. Shouldn't the people that live in the US Virgin Islands, Guam, etc have representation in the electorial college also? And my question is about your opinion, not about what the law says now. I understand it says that the states are represented. That's what I think needs to be changed. Lastly, if we went solely by popular vote, every US citizens vote would count, including mine.
Quoting SweetLuci:

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:18 AM

I think it was valuable when it was established, but now that there is instant communication and people don't have to travel miles to cast their ballots, that it is unnecessary and unhelpful.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM

It is outdated.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

TamCon
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 2:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks for the enlightenment.  I didn't think about it that way before.

Quoting SweetLuci:

I believe we should follow the constitution. I feel the electoral college makes the election fair. Because abolishing the current system will strongly tilt elections in favor of candidates who can win huge electoral margins in the country’s major metropolitan areas.

Some are calling for a “direct democracy” in which an 18-year-old voter in California and an 18-year-old voter in Oklahoma will not be ignored. But abolishing the Electoral College would mean ignoring every rural and small-state voter in our country. That includes you, since you live in a rural area in a low population state.  If you don’t believe it, just look at the electoral maps and the numbers.

If it was a popular vote, a candidate would only have to win  in just four cities — Chicago, Philadelphia, New York and Los Angeles.Imagine a andidacy free of the need to appeal to Ohio factory workers, Colorado cattlemen, Iowa hog farmers and Virginia police officers, and you start to get the picture.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)