Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know of a kid safe supplement etc. that would help a kid struggling with anxiety?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:42 AM
  • 12 Replies

Anyone know of a kid safe, supplement etc. that would help a kid struggling with anxiety? (More info below, if needed)

So, my DD (age 8) suffers from pretty severe anxiety. It caused her to miss over a month of school last year (spaced out through out the year). She would wake up struggling with it, then  we'd make it to the school, only for her to get to the door of her class room, and be unable to make it in the door. Heart hammering so hard I could see it move her little body, breath coming in trembling gasps. Some times intense enough that she had to run to the bathroom,  having diarrhea.

I immediately talked with her doctor and she wasn't keen on medicating a child at such a younge age. Apparently anxiety tends to peak around ages 7-8, expecially in people who are already genetically prone to it. But that therapy/life style changes can be enough to make it manageable. So DD talked with a Dr. and I taught her the calming tricks I was tought by a therapist. It didn't help last year.

This year however, DD has a better teacher at school, and the school added a counselor and child therapist. All of this together, along with time, has lessened the amount of school my DD has missed. It's 3 months into the school year and DD has only missed 3 days due to anxiety. Today being one of them.

I still watch her struggle with it though, and I understand, I went through it too and still do. The relief I get from my medication is life changing. Hopefully DD wont need that, but I am looking into something more natural and safe we could try. Anything that might help her and bring her, even a little.

Does anyone know of anything like that? I'll run any suggestions by her Dr, as we have a check up appointment next week.

by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Vitamin B's help anxiety.  It takes a couple weeks to see a difference.  

I would think missing that much school for anxiety she should be on meds maybe.  Counseling doesn't seem to be working that well.  She is so young to have this because an 8 year old should have nothing to be anxious about really.  

lyrick24
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

she doesnt need to be on anything unless shes under a drs care. she needs to see a therapist continuously. could there be some underlying issue?

othermom
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:52 AM

I struggle with anxiety and panic attacks and medication is what helped me. My son has had a few issues too when we have been on vacation or certain other times and I have given him peppermints to suck on it can help calm him a little, it works for me too.  we talked him through  a lot of them, for me having something I can hold in my hand and mess with, even a rock can help, it  helps to take my mind off my anxiety

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM

I'd have her continue going to see a therapist. The only thing I can think of is Vitamin B. DD is highly anxious too and is 6...it takes consistent therapy and we tried to avoid meds as much as possible.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Go to mindbodygreen.com for a list of foods to manage anxiety. 

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 28, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Quoting lyrick24:

she doesnt need to be on anything unless shes under a drs care. she needs to see a therapist continuously. could there be some underlying issue?

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:11 PM

Medication is very appropriate at this age and something you may look into if things dont improve so that your child can be a kid. I have anxiety my whole life. Sometimes we need to put our worries aside and do whats best for our children.  My daughter is 8 and has ADHD and mild anxiety. If her anxiety were to become worse then heck yes I would add meds for that. I suffered my whole life as a kid and I don't want that for my kid if it can be helped

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:13 PM

This

Quoting atlmom2:

Vitamin B's help anxiety.  It takes a couple weeks to see a difference.  

I would think missing that much school for anxiety she should be on meds maybe.  Counseling doesn't seem to be working that well.  She is so young to have this because an 8 year old should have nothing to be anxious about really.  

Amy_M
by New Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Try lavendar oil.  I have mine in a roller mixed with grapeseed oil, I apply it to the bottoms of my feet or back of neck.

illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Magnesium is great for anxiety. Try upping her intake of magnesium-rich foods, or you could check into supplements. I use Natural Calm myself, they make a supplement drink formulated for kids, you could run it by your doctor first. http://naturalvitality.com/kids-natural-calm-multi/

You could also try using Amy_M's suggestion, lavendar essential oil does work for calming. So does chamomile. If you ask at your local health food store, you should get a few suggestions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)