Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! my son hates reading.

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:07 PM
  • 15 Replies

My son is 17 months and ignores or refuses to sit on my lap for reading, I use board books as I find them sturdy and ideal for kids. I'm reading to him while he plays but he won't look up at the book.

I tried reading before bed and he kept hitting the book away. I need major suggestions to get him to at least like reading. I want to give him the best possiable start in life.

by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:10 PM
He's a toddler and it's completely normal. I would read to my oldest while he wandered him room at bedtime. He grew up to be an amazing reader, actually all of my kids are. Eventually he'll get the attention span to sit and listen.
Angelslight23
by Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:35 PM

He is extremely active, energetic, and a babbler. I guess I will have to follow him around and hope he absorbes the reading Ill be doing I would LOVE for him to sit on my lap and enjoy the book together....I wish.....

Quoting balagan_imma: He's a toddler and it's completely normal. I would read to my oldest while he wandered him room at bedtime. He grew up to be an amazing reader, actually all of my kids are. Eventually he'll get the attention span to sit and listen.

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:41 PM
It will happen, eventually. We would start out sitting in his room with him sitting on my lap or DH's, then the dog would wander in or a cat and he'd start following them or he'd play with a stuffed animal or other toys. But we kept it confined to his room so we wouldn't have to follow him around.

Quoting Angelslight23:

He is extremely active, energetic, and a babbler. I guess I will have to follow him around and hope he absorbes the reading Ill be doing I would LOVE for him to sit on my lap and enjoy the book together....I wish.....

Quoting balagan_imma: He's a toddler and it's completely normal. I would read to my oldest while he wandered him room at bedtime. He grew up to be an amazing reader, actually all of my kids are. Eventually he'll get the attention span to sit and listen.

TexanMomOf6
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:51 PM
Is he normally a.cuddler?
You may find he is an auditory learner and needs.to move to listen better.
Close his bedroom door so he has to stay in earshot. Read to him while he does other things. Talk about what you see in the book.
Narrate his day, and yours. All the time. Count the cookies, describe their appearance, taste and describe that. Talk, talk, talk. Use your full vocabulary, use correct terminology (its not a num num, its mac and cheese) avoid baby talk.
Also, let him seen you read your books. Read them out loud. My mom read books a lot. Many times she would read them out loud. The Three Musketeers, Shakespeare, Moby Dick, whatever. Kids want to do what you're doing.
barbarakmk
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:56 PM
Take him to the bookstore and let him pick out books with his favorite characters, like Elmo our whoever. Don't read while he's busy with something else. Eventually he'll learn that reading is a great way to stall at bedtime and you'll have plenty of opportunity.
Angelslight23
by Member on Dec. 14, 2016 at 12:52 AM

He will imatate me by grabbing his books and pretending to read and babble his version of the story on occasion.

Quoting TexanMomOf6: Is he normally a.cuddler? You may find he is an auditory learner and needs.to move to listen better. Close his bedroom door so he has to stay in earshot. Read to him while he does other things. Talk about what you see in the book. Narrate his day, and yours. All the time. Count the cookies, describe their appearance, taste and describe that. Talk, talk, talk. Use your full vocabulary, use correct terminology (its not a num num, its mac and cheese) avoid baby talk. Also, let him seen you read your books. Read them out loud. My mom read books a lot. Many times she would read them out loud. The Three Musketeers, Shakespeare, Moby Dick, whatever. Kids want to do what you're doing.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2016 at 12:56 AM
He doesn't have to sit and listen. It's not developmentally appropriate his age. Just let him wander and play while you read.
mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2016 at 7:35 AM
It's normal. At that age I not only read the pages, but we talked about the pictures. Get him involved and Interactive.
la_bella_vita
by on Dec. 14, 2016 at 7:37 AM

My son was like that. He is 7 now and does like to read. I would just read while he played and then hold up the book to show pictures or try and pull out books during the rare moment he was quiet. He would read a few pages with me and wonder away, lol. Now he is 7 and reading books to me : ) 

wandep
by on Dec. 14, 2016 at 8:24 AM

I am not sure what they are called but they have these books that you can lift a tab up and it has a picture under it. Buy those for him. My almost 2 year old nephew loves those. Mind you when I was reading to him we just talked about the pictures. This helps them get involved with the book. It will come soon...17 months is a bit young to worry about not liking to read. :) Just have fun with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)