Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A friendly debate. Guns

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:29 AM
  • 23 Replies
I have a question and I want opinions but please keep this a friendly debate.

In my opinion, I think it is ridiculous, I cannot buy a handgun in another state. I have to have it transferred to my state.

Now, let me explain. I can clearly go through a background check, I not only have a passport but I also have a concealed carry permit and I just went through a STA by TSA. I know not everyone has had all the background checks, but if I have a concealed carry permit why shouldn't I be able to buy in another state?

If I can carry in another state, why shouldn't I be able to buy a gun in there?
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Easedropping
by Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure it has something to do with the background checks.

I think it should be harder to have guns. Police brought in a delusional guy today that was firing his handgun at an invisible person. He should have never been able to own it to begin with.
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:08 AM

that is strange, idk!!

1squishysmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:14 AM
I never knew about this.
It doesn't really make sense to me.

Our soon to be 21yo son will be getting his concealed carry permit.
He tells everyone that asks what bar he's going to on his birthday, no bar, just the courthouse.

I'm sure he probably knows this, but I know nothing about guns.
mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:59 AM
All states do background checks to buy a handgun. I think the background check should be on a federal level.

Quoting Easedropping: I'm sure it has something to do with the background checks.

I think it should be harder to have guns. Police brought in a delusional guy today that was firing his handgun at an invisible person. He should have never been able to own it to begin with.
chicken13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I've got a good one for you....why can I have bullets shipped to my house and not need a signature on delivery...but I need to sign and show proof I'm over 21 to get a case of wine?

Each state makes it's own dumb ass rules...

mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this
The couthouse? Does he have to take a class for the concealed carry permit?

My husband has had his concealed carry for many years. My oldest son and I just got ours about 2 years ago. We took the class together.

In West Virginia Kama we have to take a class oh, shoot, and apply for it at the Sheriff's Office. It could take up to a month to get it after we applied because of the background checks they run.

Quoting 1squishysmom: I never knew about this.
It doesn't really make sense to me.

Our soon to be 21yo son will be getting his concealed carry permit.
He tells everyone that asks what bar he's going to on his birthday, no bar, just the courthouse.

I'm sure he probably knows this, but I know nothing about guns.
sunshinepraying
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:01 AM

Never knew that

iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:37 AM
Probably so people who aren't supposed to have them can't ride across state lines and buy guns.
It could have to do with state issued ID. Maybe another state can't run a proper background check with out of state ID.

The system of buying guns needs an overhaul. I don't understand why they wouldn't approve a system that has the ability to do a federal level check. This would be good for people like you who can buy a gun while weeding out those who aren't supposed to buy them. If that makes sense.

Who knows maybe it was proposed but it didn't go through for whatever reason.
yvonne37
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

i hear you.  I personally think (and we are a gun carrying family) that it has to do with the laws in each state.  You are good with your background check and i dont think that has anything to do with it.  For example, my husband is a peace officer and there is a law that allows him to carry his to ANY state, but i have a permit and can only carry in my state.  If i go to lets say ny and buy a gun in a store there, they have to mail it to a store in my state and i have to pay for it.. which sucks.. but they do this so they can keep track of how many (and who has) guns (firearms) in that state. 

Now imagine if i could drive to PA buy a rifle, bring it to NJ.. then go to NY buy a gun and bring it home... now my state will not know I am putting together an arsenal at home ;) get it?

yvonne37
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:50 AM

ohh ohh thats a good one! lol... yeah i know, the same way you can buy ANYTHING online and put together something dangerous and nobody will even notice.

Quoting chicken13:

I've got a good one for you....why can I have bullets shipped to my house and not need a signature on delivery...but I need to sign and show proof I'm over 21 to get a case of wine?

Each state makes it's own dumb ass rules...

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)