Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you use Facebook or other social sites?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:40 AM
  • 8 Replies

When I am on Facebook I am really bothered about parents that post pictures of their children, their home, where they are at any moment in time, etc.  To me it is like inviting predators, pedophiles, and other criminal sorts to have all the information they need to cause harm to you and your family.  How do others of you feel about this?

by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:47 AM
I only use Facebook but not the option to let people know where I am all the time. I also don't post about everything I do.
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Only those that I allow on my facebook can see that stuff. I don't post about every place we go. I do post pictures and some details that go on in our life.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel the same way when parents do it too much.  I post pictures only on special holidays.  Only my friends can see them.

auntangelofsix
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:31 PM
I feel the same way.only my family n friend's see what I post.
Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:46 PM

I absolutely agree. I limit my family's pictures and make it to where only certain friends and family can see them. One thing that scares me is my husband likes to tag the places we visit, like if we are out of town. I'm ok with sharing pics, but taging us still makes the post public, kwim?

anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:56 PM
I had to stop my mother from sharing everything about our family (MY family) bc she has tons of "friends" bc she plays any and all games. So she got around simply sharing my photos to downloading them and posting them. Yea, I stopped using FB or Twitter for that matter, for anything than sharing funny dog shaming articles.
trollonaroll
by Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:29 PM

I keep my shit shut down, and the only friends I have are actual friends and family.  I don't use my kids pictures as profile pictures, and I never check in anywhere.   I feel relatively safe, but still careful. 

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I go on Facebook only occasionally (mainly when my nephew or sister calls and tells me I need to go see what's going on-did someone get engaged, is someone having a baby? they won't tell me)..it's how our large extended family from all over the country keeps in touch. I'm very careful about what I post. One thing I don't do is post when we are gone from home, even though I have neighbors and friends keeping a watch on my home. And I don't like to post where we go on vacation. Dh and I travel a lot, we're retired, we can do things that many of my young relatives, struggling to raise their families, can't do, so it just doesn't feel right to post about that.

Dh and I had to talk to a relative about some things he was posting, like how much money he made on a side job. We were trying to help, and he took it as criticism at first. Dh finally made him understand that to say he was doing well was one thing, but to state a dollar amount was asking for problems of many different kinds. This was not a young inexperienced kid, but a professional man who just wasn't thinking it through.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)