Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i can't control my dd anymore!

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:25 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

and she's only 5!

she whines, backtalks, lies, and throws herself on the floor.

over something as simple as me telling her to clean up after herself in the living room. she doesn't lie much but she did to my face recently when talking at the table and i asked if she had food in her mouth. can't get her to clean her room to save her life. so many times ive gotten as far as one foot in her room with a garbage bag and she 'promises' to do it. well i'm going to do it one of these days while she's at school, ill only put them in the storage unit but still. i hope that will get the message across. i just need to find a way to get it down the apartment stairs and to the unit across town with my toddler.

i'm just at my limit, i can't spend quality time with her with her acting like this.

we've tried spanking, time outs, calm down bottle, talking to her like an adult....basically i've tried everything and am spent. any help is welcome.

by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:59 AM
What is a calm down bottle?

maureen813
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:01 AM
What us a calm down bottle?
maureen813
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:03 AM
3 moms liked this
Most children that age need help and structure to clean their bedroom and organize it. Why would talking to a young child like they are an adult be effective?
Diiwica
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:04 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwWbO2JDYaA

Quoting virginiamama71: What is a calm down bottle?

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:37 AM
3 moms liked this

Stop threatening her with taking the toys away and do it. If something is left out. Take it from her. Period. She'll learn eventually or have nothing to do. 

spunky946
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Do one thing and stick with it.  Also completely ignore the tantrum.  Just walk away from her.  You have to find her currency, which is what matters to her,.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Tell her that either she cleans her room or that you will with a garbage bag.  Then do it.  You don't have to throw the garbage bag away but she should have to earn her stuff back.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this

This exactly.  With my kid it was horse back riding lessons.  If she misbehaved, she didn't go.  It was a very effective form of discipline for her because she loves horse back riding.

Quoting spunky946:

Do one thing and stick with it.  Also completely ignore the tantrum.  Just walk away from her.  You have to find her currency, which is what matters to her,.

illneverbeold
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 3:58 PM
2 moms liked this

You need to be consistent with her. She clearly doesn't believe you will enforce anything. She talks back, she gets immediate consequence, same with not doing what she is told and ignore the tantrum as long as she doesn't harm hersef or others. Get a trash bag, and walk into the room with DD, and tell her that she is going to clean or you will start throwing her toys away. If she does not immediately comply, start picking up toys, (not trash) and putting them into the bag. If she still doesn't comply, go for the toys she plays with often. 

cellomom26
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:02 PM

Take away every single toy she has, ever single favorite outfit, favorite poster on her wall, etc.  Leave her nothing but basic bed linens and basic clothes.  She earns a few items back with good behavior.  No, I am not kidding.  I did this to my son when he was 3 and awfully behaved.  It was the only thing that worked.  Sometimes he'd earn things back, and lose them again the next day.  Eventually he got the message, and now years later he is extremely behaved and polite.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  Good luck to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)