Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owners or Renters responsibility

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

Mobile Photo

I was putting up things on my dd's wall today, and happened to see the smoke detector. I had never seen it blink so took it down. There was a battery inside it, but it had electrical tape over the prongs and there was corrosion around the smoke detector prongs. I then looked around the house for any other detectors. I found 1 in my ds' room, and it had no battery in it at all.

We have only been in this for 3 months now. Should this have been the owner's responsibility to make sure there are working smoke detectors in the house before renting, or is it ours? I know after we rent, it is now our job to replace it as needed.

by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
offrdngal
by Terri on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:25 PM
2 moms liked this
If you rent, it is on the landlord to have it up to code. Renter is responsible fornthe batteries (unless otherwise stated in lease agreement), but landlord is responsible for making sure there is working equipment in the home.
redheadtmk
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:26 PM
Honestly, IMO it doesn't matter. It's your life at stake so I would just go get the batteries and be done with it. It's not worth the hassle of contacting the landlord and waiting for him to get them. Or getting reimbursed by him.
MysticLove
by Tiffany on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:32 PM

The one with corrosion needs to be replaced and that is something the landlord needs to take care of. Put a battery in the other one and press the tester button and if it doesn't work they need to replace that one too. It is a huge safety issue.

sissyboogs
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:36 PM
My landlord checks my smoke detectors yearly and replaces the batteries then. If they beep before that, I replace the batteries.
Noneya73
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:52 PM
You are the parent and the safety of your children is your responsibility. The landlord should have changed the battires and replace them if needed,but its YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make sure that they are working at all times.
coala
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:18 PM

They should be been up and working when you  moved in.  It is your responsibility to change the batteries every 6 mos.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:14 PM

You should contact the landlord and tell him what you found. Then say no more.

It is his responsibility to have them in working order when he rented you the apartment. It sounds like it's just something that he might not have thought to check. And it's also possible that the former renter disarmed them. It's in your best interest to make sure they are in working order for the safety of your family. It's in his best interest for the same reason, but also so the place doesn't burn down and so he doesn't get cited by the city of county.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)